climbing gear question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskykid141

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the spur climbing kit from baileys for around $350 is any good? Was looking into getting some stuff for climbing. always wanted to try it.

if you are rec climbing leave the spikes back at the house. rope saddle and frictionsaver's for rec climbing.

the idea of a rec climb is to leave the tree the way you found it.

Before you climb anything read some books and try to get some instruction from someone who has expirience. It can save your life.

Before you climb anything read some books and try to get some instruction from someone who has expirience. It can save your life.

yes, this as well.

i just took a look at that setup. no rope? that steelcore would be frowned upon for rec climbs. and the saddle i wouldnt wear but i have been using a "good" one since i started climbing so i'd personally turn my nose up to it.

good luck with the search.

Might even try getting with some of your local climbers and see if they will give you a few pointers and/or climb with you. Just started climbing myself a year or so ago. I really enjoy both aspects of it, talk about one heck of a workout- really made me have alot of respect for the guys that climb and make it look so easy. As far as the kits, might also look at Wespur.com - they have pretty good prices too. I pieced my gear together- found that it fit my budget better and made me learn my gear a little at a time. Get "The Tree Climbers Companion" by Jeff Jepson- 2nd edition before doing anything else- makes for some good reading and will give you an idea of the initial gear to buy and a system to use before ever climbing. One other thing- when you do finally get a saddle- go with a wide back and light weight- will make a night and day difference in your climbing comfort..... we don't have many tree climbers around here that I am aware of -most of the arborist in the area ride buckets- my climbing help has been from a close friend that is a utility lineman for the local electric company

Hey Husky kid,

Keep an eye on the site and the next time there's a rec climb please join us and you'll learn from the best!

Cheers.

Bob

Hey Husky kid,
I see you picked a pretty smart place to live. I like to get out and rec climb whenever possible, maybe you could come along some time. Check your pm.

Latest posts

Back