Climbing Gear??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me out with.I've been wanting to start climbing for quite some time now,but almost everyone I know has a bucket truck so of course when it comes to climbing they're not the smartest.

I just want to know exactly what I need to get for climbing gear to start out with??Where to buy it from??,and what is a good saddle(buckingham-weaver-etc..)

I've been doing Landclearing for about 6 years now and most of the time I'm out in the woods clearing lots,but alot of the time's I have to top 'em and I have to get a bucket truck.I really just want to start climbing I got the bug..:blob2:

Thanks alot for any help
Rob
R.C.S. Landclearing Inc.

Rob,

I highly recommend you receive training from a certified arborist BEFORE you buy your gear. Topping in a bucket truck is one thing but climbing requires training and skill. You can drop $1,000.00 easy on a full set of gear (including your 020). You might get up there and find out climbing is not for you.

Hope things work out for you.

Top them? Hmmmmm I think that one is going to get you in trouble in this forum to start with.

But anyway look up and click onto Sherrill
Order the book called The tree climbers Companion by Jeff Jepson heres the link
http://store.wtsherrill.com/pgi-ContinueList3?Books
Then look over the arbormaster videos. But Get on hands training before you start climbing trees Climbing is challenging enough But then you have to add running a chainsaw into the mix. and dropping wood out. :blob2:

Rob,
I`m a new rope climber as well.
I would suggest you get a Sherrill catalog and a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion.
If you can get to the TCI Expo in November it will have everything you could possibly need.

DDM,

Sorry I said :rolleyes: "Top 'Em" in this topic it won't happen again.

As for the links I appreciate it,I'll have to order the Climbers Companion a.s.a.p.

Thanks for the help guy's
Rob
R.C.S. Landclearing Inc.

i think that hanging on a rope is something to be passed on and not picked up also. There is jsts too much to get a feel for, and too much is on the line-so to speak. And topping could be considered an advanced subject, you have no coach up there, many mistakes could be made while dealing with so much raw power in such an untenable position.

Sherrill is the industry leader, thier catalog would probably be more informative in safety and imaginative applications then you might ever think, they always surpass themselves. Click the top of the page, this is part of their effort! Their products are specifically chosen and approved, from their it is prefrence and use.

"Arborist Equipment" (#16195-Sherrill); probably is most comprehensive, nothing against 'companion ' at all.

"On Rope" (#16201) is my choice for rope science, it leans to mt./rescue, but displays and shows princi-pals like no other. i think thinking like you are on a 1000' sheer face makes you make better decisions then thinking like you're in a frieendly backyard tree from when you were a kid.

Arbormaster Vids run a lil more (set23 etc.), but seeing is believing.

But ya need to at least find someone experienced for a while, you're probably your own man, and have heard that b4 on other things, sometimes you can get by that. This is more like swimming and then some, never climb alone, never swim alone. Can't imagine someone reading a book and then go out and swim!

Course, ya can learn a lot hanging hear, but that still, is just background.

Thanks alot for the advice.

I do have one friend who climbs I can probally work with him on weekends and learn more on climbing he needs the help anyway.

Thanks Again
Rob
R.C.S. Landclearing Inc.

Anyone can learn how to swim but you need to start in the shallow end.
I`m not in any rush to climb to the top of a big tree on a rope and start whacking it to pieces, I`m enjoying the rope climbing and put it to use on the job occasionaly but it`s important to know your limitations.
I was on this forum for six months before even buying any rope climbing gear.

Kevin? so what are you saying? start climbing 10' up the tree and topping the other 50' ? :D

Mike, Topping is usually the beginning of a removal whether it is at the present or 15 yrs in the future wouldnt you say? :eek:

You are in New Hampshire. I'm not sure where you are in relation to some other people out there. However there is a FORTUNE in information right in your state. Not sure where you would have to go. However the NAA is right up there. Also there are several good colleges where you can take basic, but safe climbing classes. Possibly something to think about?

Magnum,
Your idea of working with a climber is probably your best bet (for a start). When I started climbing, I wanted to learn everything on my own. But there is SO much to climbing that you cannot get from a book. I hired climbers for a lot of my jobs and studied every move they made. I also approached other small-time tree guys and split jobs with them so I could get on the same jobsite with them and learn how to climb better. I learned how to tie a taughtline hitch while sitting 30' up in an oak with another climber, and had to trust it (the first time) to rapel to the ground. Maybe not the brightest thing I've ever done, but WHAT A RUSH!! :D

I think the lattest craze in saddles will be a new Euro modle, I thought Sherrill was carrying it but did not see it in the catlog.

It is modular in that you can add a batten for your butt and suspenders to make it full bodey. I know a few people climbing in it now and some say it is more comfortable then a butterfly.

It is light blue with orange squiggly designs. My be replacing my Master with one.

Tree Climber's Companion

I am glad to see you guys recommending the TCC book by Jeff Jepson. I ordered my copy about 3 weeks ago and have been reading it over and over again. It really is descriptive with great illustartions. I would also highly recommend this book for Stihl Magnum.

Back