climbing line as a second tie-in during removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonaration

Reaction score
Trying to smooth out my system...

I use a flipline and climbers during removals, but I'm trying to figure out a better system for using my climbing line as a second/redundant tie-in while chunking down sections of stem.

Right now, I tie an alpine butterfly and girth hitch it around the tree to create a retrievable anchor, then snug up my Unicender to the knot. Problem is, it's a little floppy with the length of my rope bridge (plus carebiner). I want something I can fall on with confidence if I cut my primary lanyard.

What do you all use? I've seen someone set a locked-off figure 8. With all the new gear out there, I'm hoping for something better, something that could perhaps be used one-handed in an emergency. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I just choke my climb line onto itself with a biner. If something happens, I'm able to get myself down. It takes a bit more effort to get the hitch to move now that its a single line, but it works.

I just choke my climb line onto itself with a biner. If something happens, I'm able to get myself down. It takes a bit more effort to get the hitch to move now that its a single line, but it works.

That's what I do but I have a small deaf figure eight I biner into a leg strap attachment point on my saddle. The eight takes most of the load off of the VT climbing hitch allowing for quick, smooth and easy descent. Also I don't use a biner in my choked climbing line but instead use a running bowline. Sometimes a choked biner.

I have also seen guys use an adjustable friction saver for working down the spar. Works nicely. I use it from time to time.

Thanks for the feedback! It's awesome to be able to put a question out there to so many skilled climbers.

JL- I hadn't considered the Petzl Rig, but I'll see if I can play with one at my local shop. I like that it's purpose-built for rope access. I've been checking out the The GriGri2 and Trango Cinch, but both apparently jam better when shock-loaded than when loaded gradually. Seems like the Rig would have the kind of simplicity you'd want in a bad situation too.

Maybe the answer is a friction hitch or a figure 8? They're simple, cheap, bomb-proof, and get the job done.

Guess I'll experiment a little.

Thanks, again.

Jonaration I run the same setup you're describing when working a stem and like it.. Secondary tie in and I can get down quickly. Going up through around and over limbs I swap my Uni for a split tail micro pulley and blakes hitch using it as a second flip line. Generally though i run the same system as you. I do add a pear quick link in for my girth hitch.

I agree that the Adjustable Friction Saver is the best way to work off of a spar. Very affordable. ART makes the "rope guide" which is used for the same purpose. Once I used an AFS I never went back.

Latest posts

Back