climbing saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeChick217

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have a climbing saddle for sale? I need one for myself at home because we only have one between my boyfriend and I and he takes his to work.

I was just in the market for a new saddle, and thought I might try the forums, but I followed the same rule I use for rock/ice/mountain climbing, and that's to never buy anything that isn't new or that I don't know where it came from. I ended up buying a Weaver Northwest D saddle for like $130. I don't know what your budget is, but for $130 it's a tremendous saddle. I got mine locally, but you can get them from Bailey's, a site sponsor and good folks to deal with.

Another consideration is size...are you a small or an XXXL? According to the measurements in the catalog, I'd be a medium (34"-36" waist) but the large fit far and away better. I'm glad I was able to try it on. Buying new would likely allow you to return it, should it not fit properly. JMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
I was just in the market for a new saddle, and thought I might try the forums, but I followed the same rule I use for rock/ice/mountain climbing, and that's to never buy anything that isn't new or that I don't know where it came from. I ended up buying a Weaver Northwest D saddle for like $130. I don't know what your budget is, but for $130 it's a tremendous saddle. I got mine locally, but you can get them from Bailey's, a site sponsor and good folks to deal with.

Another consideration is size...are you a small or an XXXL? According to the measurements in the catalog, I'd be a medium (34"-36" waist) but the large fit far and away better. I'm glad I was able to try it on. Buying new would likely allow you to return it, should it not fit properly. JMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

I agree, I NEVER buy used equipment (Just me, everyone is different), I use the Master 2. Sherrill has it listed for 203 dollars. Good luck.

Do not buy a saddle without trying it on first. I learned that after spending almost $300 for the Saddle X, which I used for only 16 hours, trying to force myself to like it. Finally said forget it, going back to my old Traverse. At the recent TCI, I tried the Butterfly, the Dragonfly and the Ness. I bought the Ness and have climbed with it. I like it.

Chronic1 said:
I NEVER buy used equipment

What about cars, trucks, plates at the restaurant, airplanes...?

The list could go on and on.

With some considerations I don't see anything wrong with buying used climbing gear. You have to know who owned the gear and how it was used of course. Doing a visual inspection will tell you a lot. I've sold several pieces of gear, including rigging ropes, to people who knew me. The gear has continued to serve them like it took car of me.

I agree on the Weaver, I bought a couple of them. I am supposed to be a medium, bought one Medium and one large. Glad I did. Most of my guys are smaller so it worked out well. Now that the coveralls are out for the winter, I am really glad.

hey tree chick, i have a Weaver Northwest double dee saddle that is in good condition, size small with absolutely nothing wrong with it. if your interested let me know and I will post some pictures of it. but, like everyone else is saying, you should make sure the size is right. I'm not a big guy so it might work for you.

Back