climbing saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
I was just in the market for a new saddle, and thought I might try the forums, but I followed the same rule I use for rock/ice/mountain climbing, and that's to never buy anything that isn't new or that I don't know where it came from. I ended up buying a Weaver Northwest D saddle for like $130. I don't know what your budget is, but for $130 it's a tremendous saddle. I got mine locally, but you can get them from Bailey's, a site sponsor and good folks to deal with.

Another consideration is size...are you a small or an XXXL? According to the measurements in the catalog, I'd be a medium (34"-36" waist) but the large fit far and away better. I'm glad I was able to try it on. Buying new would likely allow you to return it, should it not fit properly. JMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Chronic1

Chronic1

ArboristSite Operative
fishhuntcutwood said:
I was just in the market for a new saddle, and thought I might try the forums, but I followed the same rule I use for rock/ice/mountain climbing, and that's to never buy anything that isn't new or that I don't know where it came from. I ended up buying a Weaver Northwest D saddle for like $130. I don't know what your budget is, but for $130 it's a tremendous saddle. I got mine locally, but you can get them from Bailey's, a site sponsor and good folks to deal with.

Another consideration is size...are you a small or an XXXL? According to the measurements in the catalog, I'd be a medium (34"-36" waist) but the large fit far and away better. I'm glad I was able to try it on. Buying new would likely allow you to return it, should it not fit properly. JMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

I agree, I NEVER buy used equipment (Just me, everyone is different), I use the Master 2. Sherrill has it listed for 203 dollars. Good luck.

Koa Man

Koa Man

Kahuna giganticus
Do not buy a saddle without trying it on first. I learned that after spending almost $300 for the Saddle X, which I used for only 16 hours, trying to force myself to like it. Finally said forget it, going back to my old Traverse. At the recent TCI, I tried the Butterfly, the Dragonfly and the Ness. I bought the Ness and have climbed with it. I like it.

Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Chronic1 said:
I NEVER buy used equipment

What about cars, trucks, plates at the restaurant, airplanes...?

The list could go on and on.

With some considerations I don't see anything wrong with buying used climbing gear. You have to know who owned the gear and how it was used of course. Doing a visual inspection will tell you a lot. I've sold several pieces of gear, including rigging ropes, to people who knew me. The gear has continued to serve them like it took car of me.

PTS

ArboristSite Guru
I agree on the Weaver, I bought a couple of them. I am supposed to be a medium, bought one Medium and one large. Glad I did. Most of my guys are smaller so it worked out well. Now that the coveralls are out for the winter, I am really glad.

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
hey tree chick, i have a Weaver Northwest double dee saddle that is in good condition, size small with absolutely nothing wrong with it. if your interested let me know and I will post some pictures of it. but, like everyone else is saying, you should make sure the size is right. I'm not a big guy so it might work for you.

Latest posts