Climbing Saw Favorites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Tell me what your favorite climbing saw is and why its your favorite. Any details on why its your saw in the sky would be helpful.
Thanks

I personally think that the two best are:

Stihl MS200T
Husqvarna 335XPT

I haven't used the Husky much but the Stihl is sweet. The bars seem to bend pretty easy though.

If you're looking for something a little more economical then try the Echo CS-3400. It will do all that you need in a climbing saw and at a fraction of the price.

WillClimb

Stihl 019T. The 020T and the Husky 335xpt are the same displacement but rev higher. I like the 019T because it is available with the toolless chain tensioning system (very handy up in the tree) and because the swept front handle allows 2 handed use in awkward positions.

I Prefer an 046 Mag with a 24-28" bar on it. If your going to cut it Cut it! :D

I have to vote for my favorite which is the 020T. It has plenty of power, the 16 inch bar is good enough till I call for my 044 with the 25 inch bar for the big removals where wood needs to be rigged out. The gas tank on the 020 is plenty to get through a good size pruning job, or to get through at least till lunch on a removal job. The saw is perfectly balanced and is pretty light weight. The bad thing about it though is the almost five hundred dollar price tag. I don't know if this would help you Forrest, but the other night I was over at Home Depot visiting my buddy over there. I happened to notice in the power tool isle a new commercial grade climbing saw made by echo. I would highly suggest you investigate this saw before you check into the 335 or 020T simple based on price. I don't really think I looked at the price, I was more interested in the design, balance, and feel of the saw... but I would have to say a price of about $200 sounds pretty close. What interests me about this saw is that it has the top handle construction, plus the ring on the back for saddle attachment. I wonder if Home Depot is looking to cater to professional arborists now, or if they are opening themselves up for liabilities now when homeowners decide to climb with poly rope and an echo climbing saw they bought at DIY central.

I use a 335 at work for tops and limbs and bring in the 262 for larger stuff.
The 335 runs good once it`s warmed up say after the first two minutes of operation.
It`s nice and light , well balanced and is over priced.
You might require two saws and Echo would be a consideration due to pricing but again it depends slightly on the dealer as well.

Husky 335 Pricing

$409.95 with a 14 inch bar and one loop of chain
Rated RPM 13,800
Displacement 2.2 cubic inch or 35cc
Engine Power 1.6kW
Powerhead Weight 7.5lbs
Fuel Capacity .63 pints
Chain Oil Capacity .34 pints
Features:
Electronic Ignition
Quickstop Inertia Chain Brake
Automatic Oiler
Forest Service - USDA Approved Muffler
Air Injection Air Filter System

020T

Specifications
Displacement 2.15 cu. in. (35 cc)
Engine Power 2.2 bhp (1.6 kW)
Weight (Powerhead only) 7.9 lbs. (3.6 kg)
Fuel Capacity 0.73 pts. (.37 l)
Chain Oil Capacity 0.51 pts. (.24 l)
Oilomatic® Chain Picco® MicroTM 1
Guide Bars Available 12", 14", & 16"

Side access chain tensioner
Excellent power to weight ratio
Anti-vibration system
Lifetime ignition warranty
QuickstopTM Inertia chain brake
Two ring piston/long life cylinder
Chain catcher
Adjustable Automatic chain oiling
Oil saving EmaticTM bar
FS-USDA approved muffler
Master ControlTM Lever
Built in rope ring
Translucent gas tank
Meets California Emissions Standards

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price:
12" Bar: $639.95
14" Bar: $649.95
16" Bar: $659.95

Manufacturer:
Echo

Model Number:
CS3450
Our Price:
$257.93

Dry Weight* (lbs.) 8
Engine Displacement (cc.) 33.4
Inertia type chain brake
Automatic adjustable oiler
Lightweight and powerful, this saw features big saw performance in a compact package
16" bar and chain with tip guard features Oregon intenz side access chain tensioning bar technology

Last edited:
Treeman82 brings up a topic I am passionate about, top handled saws. I don't like them. I don't like them on the ground, I don't like them in a tree, I don't like them in the air, I don't like them anywhere.
If you can pick up an Echo cs3450 and not immediately see and feel the advantages of a rear handled saw, then there is something very wrong with you.
That being said, The 335 and 020 have powerful motors compared to the Echo. If they came in a rear handled model, I'd buy 5 of them.

Hey Forrest,

I don't climb personally, but the anecdotal evidence from the guys that do is the Echo cs3450. The Husky 335 in it's current incarnation is alleged to leap from buckets and operators hands while in trees. The word around is that Husky is coming out with 3 new versions of the 335 to help fix the carb, start and idle issues that have plagued the model. The former 335 users switched to the Echo after the Husky launched itself to a premature demise, at least at the saw shop that I haunt. No info on the Stihl line.

The echo while not as strong is half the cost and with good maintenence will probably last you quite a while.

MikeMaas, do you like green eggs and ham?

I don't know what all the hype is about these top handle saws either Mike Maas.I hate 'em....give me a Husky136 or a Stihl46 and then lets go to the other job.

Dr. Suess(A.K.A. Mike Maas)

Haha. Newfie I was thinking the same thing when I read that post by Mike. It was a good rhyme though. Thank you all for your help on these saws. Its good to know these things from real experienced arborists about these saws instead of having some Stihl, Husky, or Echo representative blowin smoke up my a$$ about how their saw is the best. I am definitely looking for a good saw in the $200 dollar range. I do like the rear handled saws better myself. My boss only has those types of saws and they work well with me. Echo is sounding like the best value for the dollar at this point but I will be sure and review the other makes and models completely before making an ultimate decision. If you have any more knowledge of these saws or any others dont hesitate to post your thoughts and opinions.

P.S. Newfie....You type with a very formal vernacular. Thats always appreciable from one English fanatic to another.

I run a Stihl 020T (older non EPA model) as my primary saw. I also have a Shindaiwa 357 as a backup. I know the 357 is heavier and bulkier, but I got this saw for a steal. However if I were to do this again I would opt for a Echo 3000. They are tough. I thought Stihl lowered the price of 020t's to around $450. Rich.

I Bought a new ms200about 6 months ago for 469.00 Its a awesome saw. I prefer it to the echo it has of course more power.

If I were starting out now I would get a silky handsaw for the bulk of my work then a midsized chunking saw (026-036 range) for bigger work.

I rarely pull the little climbing saw out any more. It's an 020 with a 12in bar. I cut near everything with the Silky Zubat these days, up to around a 6 in cut I'd guess.

This way you can have a mid sized saw and then maybe a big bucking saw.

Last edited:
Echo Saws

I went to Barnes and Noble tonight in search of some reading material on arboriculture and commercial landscaping but they didnt have ANYTHING of the nature. I was upset about that. I think I will just go to BN.com and find one online.

After that I went to Home Depot to price some saws. They only had commercial grade saws by Echo. They had Poulan and Homelite but the only saws they had in those brands were the 129.99 break it after the 9th use saws. They had the Echo CS300(199.99), CS3450(249.99), and the CS440(329.99). I've read that some use the CS3450 for use in the tree but why not the CS3000. Is it not powerful enough for climbing jobs. I liked the lightweight feel and having a short bar seems like it would make it easier to manuever while up there. Also, at a price like 199.99 it fits very well into my business budget. Treeman82, I believe this CS3000 may have been the saw by echo that you saw at your Home Depot because your description of that saw matches this one that I saw as well.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mike Maas
Except for the handle, the two saws are the same.

I must object here. The 3450 is the same saw as the Echo 3400 except for the handle. The 3000 has a much smaller motor (and less power) in the same case. About like the difference between a car with a 4 cylinder vs. a V-6.

Forrest,

Have you checked out Sherrill's for books? They are one of the site sponsors. Just click on the banner at the top of the page.

I'm just a history major who decided I liked dropping things on the ground. That's why my posts sound like I'm writing a term paper.

:D

Brian

Since the 3000 has that much less power does it make it a less appropriate saw to use in the trees than the 3450? If the 3450 is going to make climb cutting that much easier for me I will fork out the extra 50 bucks for it. Tell me your opinion if you would.

Back