Climbing spike maintainance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
When I purchased my latest set of climbers (Klein) I read in the instructions (yes, I always read instructions) that klein suggest that you replace the climbers after you have worn out two sets of gaffs. My last set of climbers were used for several years before I got them and I used them for several more. I believe they were buckinghams, I had to get new ones when they grew legs. I know that everything has a life expectancy and repeated stress will weaken metal but this sounds fishy to me. Two sets of gaffs for a 220# man would be different than for a 140# man. As would they differ for a lineman who often starts from gravel or asphalt than a tree climber who typically starts from dirt. If anyone has any technical info on this or enough experience that Klein should be contacting you for advice I appreciate you passing it on. Spread the wealth knowledge is power.........I think.

I am certain that Klein won't be contacting me any time soon for technical advice on their product, but I do have about 7 years experience with their climbers.
I was issued a pair of Kleins when I worked for a local city years ago. I liked them and wanted to replace my original (pawn shop) Buckingham climbers. I purchased a new pair and read all that stuff carefully. My take is that by the time you replace the gaffs twice the screw holes and such will be starting to wear and possibility for falure increases. I am on my first replacement pair of gaffs after 7 years, might need to replace them again in another year or so. At an average of 4 years per set of gaffs, 12 years is plenty old for climbers. I will probably replace them before that if I'm still climbing.

The sharpening instructions state to NEVER touch the outside edges of the gaffs with a file. I have always sharpened the inside edge only, but I always lightly smooth the outside edges with the file when I'm finished on the inside. This is only to knock off any burrs. I'm only 155 lbs, so sharp gaffs are a MUST for me to get a good bite. Many guys dislike the offset gaffs, but I like them and have never had ankle problems (only back problems).

i've got 5 years on a the origional bashlin spikes. i work in the city and end up walking on side walks and patios alot. in the beginning they dulled because they extended right into the ground. but after a few sharpenings i don't hit them when i walk. plus i curve my ankles a bit when i walk in them to avoid dulling them. i only sharpen them about once every 6 months or longer. so i figure i'm on target to get about 14 years or better out of my baslins if they have the same rule as the kleins. thats a long time compared to the rest of your gear. what other piece of climbing gear could you use for over 10 years?

I appreciate the responses to my question. The gaffs start off about 2 3/4" long how far down do you sharpen them before you replace them? I am 195# and I only sharpen my spikes once or twice a month. I really try not to walk in them at all. It only takes a minute to take them on or off. In the past two years I have only sharpened off maybe 1/4 of an inch. I would think they would need to be replaced when you have removed around 1/2 of an inch of material. Once again thanks for letting me pick your brains.

I climb with 2" pole spikes, so I guess length of the gaff is some what based on what you are climbing and personal pref. I like the short ones for 90% of my work, but when climbing the thick bark of a Live oak, or a tree with thick vines all over it I wish I had longer ones. I have had mine for about 4 years and have sharpened them twice, and the second time was to correct the 1st sharpening. I stay off of sidewalks and just don't use them a whole lot 10 times a month would be a busy month for my spikes.
Greg

I can't measure mine right now, they are at the base of the pine tree I need to climb in about 15 minutes. But I only consider replacing mine when they no longer bite well. As you sharpen them down, the base gets wider as the gaffs get shorter. When mine get to short and too wide to penetrate well I will replace them.
If I kick out 2X in a single tree, I will sharpen mine. If I start kicking out even with them sharp, I will replace them.

xander, and brian,

My Klein's shanks are still working just fine- and they were used when I got them in 1975!!! Same for the alum. Bashlins I got a the same time, but they grew legs.....

I may be a gear freak, but as far as climbers go, i just throw 'em on and go to work- of course I sharpen them when needed.

The west coast aluminum/foam "cadillac" pads are the best by far- for old style gaffs- plenty comfy. Thus i have no need for light Geckos, Wolf Claws, or Talon's. and those also over 27 yrs old, I just replace the foam evey few years.

Sharpen or replace when they don`t pass the cut out test any longer.
I use a stone to touch up my gaffs, it`s easier on them than a file.

Last edited:
The companies suggest replacement at some interval because of the possibility that parts of the climbers will wear out. Unless they have a defined replacement policy the company can be setting themselves up for liability. I've seen spikes at the flea market that are pretty dodgy. Stick welding is pretty close to black smithing when it comes to spike repairs.

I'm not sure which company makes the spikes that have the tapered pin that holds the spike to the shank. That company suggests replacement after two sets of spikes because the tapered hole can become enlarged so that the pin doesn't set and might slip out.

If the spike is attached with bolts there is no reason to believe that the threads or nuts could be worn after two uses. If the screws, nuts or threads were that soft I wouldn't want to climb on them in the first place.

Tom

The cut out test should be done between 6-12" off the ground just in case there was some confusion. :rolleyes:

I have had my Klein's for eight years now, and since I don't use them as often (maybe twicw a week), I figure to have them for a while. I do as some of you have stated by putting them on right at the tree. I have replaced the foot straps once.

Don't skip on spending a few bucks, though on gear you need to be right. You can just ask me. I decided to buy a new Petzl helmet to replace my old one, due only to the fact that I was tired of monkeying around with the chin strap which was worn (I sweat so blasted much, I think it wrecked the fibers.) Well, anyway, low and behold, the first day I have the new brain bucket on, I am doing some contract climbing for someone I have worked quite a bit for, but he's now got a couple of new ground guys.

I should have got my butt out of the tree immediately, but all went well with the first tree, and the second was almost done when, Wham! new ground guy number 2 decided that he better ease of on the tension of bottom rope (limb tied off top and bottom to swing away from me and fence below. Well, I got a pretty good blow which the straps on my old helmet may not have held on for.

So, if there's any chance of you needing (or think you need) something new, just get it!

Yes, I had a long chat with owner, and unless his regular man is there to assist me, we're through.

Gopher

Originally posted by Gopher

Yes, I had a long chat with owner, and unless his regular man is there to assist me, we're through.

Gopher

You sound almost as demanding as I am! I've been told that I don't have good 'people' skills and that is why the groundies are stupid!

There are two types of groundies. Those that choose to be (or start as) groundies and those that have no choice but be a groundie. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the latter.

I rarely if ever use spikes. Mine have been in the tool box for the last 8 months. I have used them but I am no spike expert.

I do have a few questions. Is sharper better with spikes? Can they be too sharp??

When mine were sharp, they really sunk in too deep on soft trees. To the point of almost being stuck. The spikes I used in the EU had round, pointy spikes that were fairly dull. The trees were a lot softer there than here.

Back