climbing with spurs and without.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandandatreeman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I was climbing some trees without spurs the other day. The customer did not want spur marks on the tree so I used my throw ball and got in a high fork and did it. I think that I have gotten where I can do it the same speed without and with. The guy I was climbing for thought that I was working too hard so he had me put on my spurs. I am trying to be professional and do what a professional should. Yes his Job and he always is right with me but I realy wish I could be left alone to do what I have to do. I mean I have been doing this six years. Don't mind another view at things but.......

Well I don't want to loose him as a customer I climb for either. He is old school, and I think he may be mad. Because I can footlock and move so good without them. I don't know. It is frustrating!

Would any of yall charge a lot extra or just charge it as a trim? This man I talk about has been in buisness for 26 years. He thinks it takes too long and is too hard to climb without spurs. I am the one I'm the air and it may take me a little smidge longer....I like to be up to standard I do love this job!

Would any of yall charge a lot extra or just charge it as a trim? This man I talk about has been in buisness for 26 years. He thinks it takes too long and is too hard to climb without spurs. I am the one I'm the air and it may take me a little smidge longer....I like to be up to standard I do love this job!

I've climbed for companies that spike trims. I figure if it's their name on the job and not mine I'll strap on the gaffs and mar the helloutta the tree. As my face has become a bit better known in the community I've decided to just not climb trims for other companies period.

Are you someones rented cutter or are you an arborist? Which one is going to have better career prospects in the long term?

I have contract climbed for over half a dozen companies, years back I lost quite a bit of work which I REALLY needed at the time because I refused to do the hack work I was told to do. At the time I went home feeling stupid and broke.

But years down the track those few hundred bucks I lost has meant tens of thousands of dollars made due to having a solid reputation. I still refuse to do profitable hack jobs and sometimes I still come home feeling stupid and a few $ poorer, but only for THAT day

Play the long game.

As far as what to charge, I charge by time, labor cost and how much I have to haul away. If it takes you more time to prune then charge accordingly. You are generally going to make up for that time by having less to haul away and less labor though. It depends on the degree of the prune job. Are you manicuring the tree or just deadwooding? Those are things to consider. I have a set rate for removing limbs that I use for a formula. The price is compounded on limbs over structures and size. I can't apply it to every limb all the time, there are exceptions to every rule, but it works out most of the time.

Hey Dan, 26 years in the biz is not a big deal here, education is- Next month will be 33 years in the biz, but I don't work like we did in the past.
Jeff, CTSP

Hey Dan, 26 years in the biz is not a big deal here, education is- Next month will be 33 years in the biz, but I don't work like we did in the past.
Jeff, CTSP

So true. And in fact, two or three decades ago there was ALOT of things done differently. Either because of lack of knowledge in the industry, lack of tools/technology, etc.. For whatever reason it was different. Now that we know better.. that does not make the old way right!! Learn and move forward..

So true. And in fact, two or three decades ago there was ALOT of things done differently. Either because of lack of knowledge in the industry, lack of tools/technology, etc.. For whatever reason it was different. Now that we know better.. that does not make the old way right!! Learn and move forward..

Very true.

When I started out in 91 everyone I knew and worked with spiked prunes. Most still do in the area I now live. Some customers don't care. They will flat out tell you I don't care if you spike the tree, I am looking for the best price and want the limb over my house gone. I have literally heard that from several people while bidding work.

An educated customer is your best client and the public is becoming better educated.

Tried to rep that!
I remember in 1976, I worked for a company that advertised topping, we made alot of money, people said " my tree is to tall", I remember , Yup, now we educate and hope all are aboard!
Jeff, CTSP :)

That's what I am talking about. The technology is here and techniques are here too. I wish that I could hook up with someone down here to learn more the hands-on way. Climbing.....tree work is ME!

Tried to rep that!
I remember in 1976, I worked for a company that advertised topping, we made alot of money, people said " my tree is to tall", I remember , Yup, now we educate and hope all are aboard!
Jeff, CTSP :)

Man, I need to learn Chinese, Korean and Persian (farsi) so I can explain to potential new immigrant clients why I can't just cut their tree in half.

Man, I need to learn Chinese, Korean and Persian (farsi) so I can explain to potential new immigrant clients why I can't just cut their tree in half.

Might be a good idea to get some brochures made up explaining some common items that come up, have them professionally translated and reproduced. You could then use with your customers who can not communicate well in the english language. You would first need to target what needed to be done, common areas which were difficult to explain. If you do it carefully you only need to do it once, so any cost is up front. Might be helpful to find a person who understands each nationality to make the brochures up as well, as they may be familiar with a slightly different format than we typically use, and they may welcome something done according to their traditional customs. Just an idea..

Well I don't want to loose him as a customer I climb for either. He is old school, and I think he may be mad. Because I can footlock and move so good without them. I don't know. It is frustrating!

Watching you move so good without them makes him think your working too hard?

Might be a good idea to get some brochures made up explaining some common items that come up, have them professionally translated and reproduced. You could then use with your customers who can not communicate well in the english language. You would first need to target what needed to be done, common areas which were difficult to explain. If you do it carefully you only need to do it once, so any cost is up front. Might be helpful to find a person who understands each nationality to make the brochures up as well, as they may be familiar with a slightly different format than we typically use, and they may welcome something done according to their traditional customs. Just an idea..

That would be a solid investment, I think. Even the natives would see the integrity of your business and I'm sure attract some solid clientele.

Back