climbing with spurs and without.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true. And in fact, two or three decades ago there was ALOT of things done differently. Either because of lack of knowledge in the industry, lack of tools/technology, etc.. For whatever reason it was different. Now that we know better.. that does not make the old way right!! Learn and move forward..

So true, can you come by our Fire :cheers:hall and make that announcement? lol!

So true, can you come by our Fire :cheers:hall and make that announcement? lol!

Well one might think that common sense may prevail.. but maybe not..

Surely there have also been some changes in the past two to three decades in their fire fighting and safety equipment.. also in their techniques employed at scene due to lessons learned, research, etc..

Really in the tree industry, any arborist who keeps up on training, learning new techniques and tools/methods to employ is doing nothing different. Doing the same in the tree industry as we did three decades ago, would be like them fighting fires using same techniques and equipment as that of the 1970's. Would likely work for the most part, but maybe not the safest nor the most effective.

Watching you move so good without them makes him think your working too hard?[/QUOTe. I don't know....takes the same time to do a trim. Even in large live oaks. He has said more than on one occasion that I need to where my spurs in them cuz we ain't gunna bust our ass like that. He dose not want spurs until you get past the main fork though. I guess if I want to work with the guy I just have to do what he asks. No mater how bad I feel about it.

Watching you move so good without them makes him think your working too hard?[/QUOTe. I don't know....takes the same time to do a trim. Even in large live oaks. He has said more than on one occasion that I need to where my spurs in them cuz we ain't gunna bust our ass like that. He dose not want spurs until you get past the main fork though. I guess if I want to work with the guy I just have to do what he asks. No mater how bad I feel about it.

Dont beat yourself up bro. Let it all be positive motivation for you to start exploring your next career move.

So I was climbing some trees without spurs the other day. The customer did not want spur marks on the tree so I used my throw ball and got in a high fork and did it. I think that I have gotten where I can do it the same speed without and with. The guy I was climbing for thought that I was working too hard so he had me put on my spurs. I am trying to be professional and do what a professional should. Yes his Job and he always is right with me but I realy wish I could be left alone to do what I have to do. I mean I have been doing this six years. Don't mind another view at things but.......

i dont spike anything but removals. i feel bad enough if my chain nicks the tree when cutting off a limb.

Ive twice quit jobs that I needed because everyone started putting their spurs on and spiking up trees like it was the thing to do. I recently worked two days for a company here locally that did such awful work I couldn't bring my self to even make a cut.
Ive always prided my self that I can match another trimmers work, but, damn! They said I was the worst trimmer they ever seen, but would be willing to teach me. I just laugh to my self. (I was told to reach out as far as I could and cut.)
They had such nice equipment, and had Arborist in their name. The general public just don't know.
You can't educate some of them old tree toppers and spikers, they beleave their right. But you can stand up for whats right. You'll feel better about your self in the long run.

Ive twice quit jobs that I needed because everyone started putting their spurs on and spiking up trees like it was the thing to do. I recently worked two days for a company here locally that did such awful work I couldn't bring my self to even make a cut.
Ive always prided my self that I can match another trimmers work, but, damn! They said I was the worst trimmer they ever seen, but would be willing to teach me. I just laugh to my self. (I was told to reach out as far as I could and cut.)
They had such nice equipment, and had Arborist in their name. The general public just don't know.
You can't educate some of them old tree toppers and spikers, they beleave their right. But you can stand up for whats right. You'll feel better about your self in the long run.

You are in a tough market in your area, lots of competition. How far south do you work? It gets better when you get down towards San Diego. I will be starting a crew in Hemet tomorrow and a crew in Del Mar also. Seems like when we work north of San Diego county line, the standards drop and the customer is paying by the pound. There are still customers who want quality and willing to pay a fair price.:)
Jeff

You are in a tough market in your area, lots of competition. How far south do you work? It gets better when you get down towards San Diego. I will be starting a crew in Hemet tomorrow and a crew in Del Mar also. Seems like when we work north of San Diego county line, the standards drop and the customer is paying by the pound. There are still customers who want quality and willing to pay a fair price.:)
Jeff

It does seem like a tough market in N. California. I was vacationing in Sea Ranch and had the opportunity to watch a 60 year old climber take down a Redwood from over a house. I had a chance to sit down and talk to him for a little while. He was doing that tree for peanuts. He told me what he normally makes up there and it really wasn't jack ####. And he was an awesome climber working for himself. Seems like Northern CA is flooded with ex loggers who are working for very little.

I am living in Riverside now. I was working for an really high end company and I guess I got spoiled a little. Since the bottom feel out of the market here it seems the butcher and hacks are getting the upper hand. I tell potential customers all it takes is one time for their tree to be ruined, and its true. I see trees Ive trimmed in the past for various companies over the years, that now look like hat racks
Im working on an Olive tree right now I underbid badly, but when I drive by it, it makes me happy. Money isn't everything.
To keep the thread on track; Spiking up live trees is wrong for so many reasons. Thats not an opinion, but a fact. In the morning you have to look at your own face in the mirror.
On the plus side. lot of climbers these days can't climb on gaffs. I learn to climb on gaffs and move pretty easily on them and that makes me a pretty good take down artist(if I do say so my self)
Dan you seem like a pretty good tree man. If your going to be a pro, Be a pro all the way. And for the love of God don't spike no Oak trees!

I am living in Riverside now. I was working for an really high end company and I guess I got spoiled a little. Since the bottom feel out of the market here it seems the butcher and hacks are getting the upper hand. I tell potential customers all it takes is one time for their tree to be ruined, and its true. I see trees Ive trimmed in the past for various companies over the years, that now look like hat racks
Im working on an Olive tree right now I underbid badly, but when I drive by it, it makes me happy. Money isn't everything.
To keep the thread on track; Spiking up live trees is wrong for so many reasons. Thats not an opinion, but a fact. In the morning you have to look at your own face in the mirror.
On the plus side. lot of climbers these days can't climb on gaffs. I learn to climb on gaffs and move pretty easily on them and that makes me a pretty good take down artist(if I do say so my self)
Dan you seem like a pretty good tree man. If your going to be a pro, Be a pro all the way. And for the love of God don't spike no Oak trees!

Good post. And money isn't everything. Proud to call you a brother. I'd like to work with you someday.

I am living in Riverside now. I was working for an really high end company and I guess I got spoiled a little. Since the bottom feel out of the market here it seems the butcher and hacks are getting the upper hand.

What is a high end company and how did you get spoiled? And, when did the "bottom fall out", If you are high end you are a competitor, Who is this? You know who I am!
Jeff :)

Jeff I don't doubt you guys are top notch. Your obviously an excellent supervisor and I mean that sincerely. The Company I worked for the last two years was amazon though. I don't think were anyone's competitors, that company was in a class by its self.
We get recommendations from several Universitys, a law firm that specializes in tree litigation, a well known PHd consulting arborist recommends us. Ive been to movie stars homes, Ive been put up in beach front hotels for several days and walk to the job each morning. Ive got to ride in helicopters. I got paid lot of money and perks. Any piece of equipment I wanted, I just had to ask`for. We were always told to take as long as we want, but just do the best job possible.
The Owner is the nicest guy you'll ever met. He only has 4 to 6 employees. I could go on and on. But for some reason 6 or 7 months ago work just stopped coming in. About that same time I started working only two or three days a week because I wanted to go back to school and get a degree in Horticulture. Kind of shot my self in the foot. This semester is almost over, and Im struggling for every dollar, but making due.
I am an employee, Ive work for lots of people the last 20 years, good and bad, but that was the best two year run I ever had.

Jeff I don't doubt you guys are top notch. Your obviously an excellent supervisor and I mean that sincerely. The Company I worked for the last two years was amazon though. I don't think were anyone's competitors, that company was in a class by its self.
We get recommendations from several Universitys, a law firm that specializes in tree litigation, a well known PHd consulting arborist recommends us. Ive been to movie stars homes, Ive been put up in beach front hotels for several days and walk to the job each morning. Ive got to ride in helicopters. I got paid lot of money and perks. Any piece of equipment I wanted, I just had to ask`for. We were always told to take as long as we want, but just do the best job possible.
The Owner is the nicest guy you'll ever met. He only has 4 to 6 employees. I could go on and on. But for some reason 6 or 7 months ago work just stopped coming in. About that same time I started working only two or three days a week because I wanted to go back to school and get a degree in Horticulture. Kind of shot my self in the foot. This semester is almost over, and Im struggling for every dollar, but making due.
I am an employee, Ive work for lots of people the last 20 years, good and bad, but that was the best two year run I ever had.

You are probably a great employee, I would hire you.
Jeff,CTSP :)

Latest posts

Back