close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
a few days ago i was cutting over head with my 200t, both hands on the saw. my left hand was around on the side of the front handle. the limb sat down on the tip of the bar, when it did i felt the weight start to pinch the bar and pulled down real hard to prevent a pinch. the resulting action from the saw was a swivel/ torpedo motion directly towards my face. the bar stopped about a 1/2" from the corner of my eye and left cheek. with my hand being on the side of the front handle it was not able to activate the brake, also with my hand position being there the saw acted like a catapult coming out of the curf. i could feel on my face ecactly where the saw would have gone to work. sorry for such a long post but after seeing the "chainsaw to the face" thread over in accident and fatality's" i am thanking god i am not posting this over there. be careful out there and God bless you.

Glad you're OK buddy!

A little advice, Always position to where you can cut with maximum control of the saw. We are all guilty of cutting smaller limbs above our heads as we go up sometimes but on anything big try to get above it.

General safety rule, don't cut over your head with a chain saw. If necessary break out the hand saw. Accidents can happen in an instant when we employ unsafe practices. Glad to hear that you're OK.

thanks guys. yeah, it was an enlightening moment. i never dreamed the saw would react like that.

Yeah, it should be repeated, so: Never cut overhead with a chainsaw. Never. I know we can all give the, "Sometimes, man, you don't have a choice!" reply, but that just won't cut it (pun intended). As said, get out the hand saw, or reposition yourself above the cut. Glad to hear you're OK. Close call.

Back