clutch on the dolmar / makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chupa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all!

I got my makita 6401 all done with the 54mm BBK. Its running great. However I was having issues with the clutching engaging at idle speed (2500). I replaced the whole clutch assembly, springs and alll. But not the drum. The chain still spins at 2500 though. I was wondering what the next step would be in solving this issue?

ALSO another (maybe unrelated issue).

I was cutting a stump low to the ground in my french drain, which is filled with 1" stones. In doing so I suppose I hit some stones as I saw sparks flying a bit. My saw is now having a hard time just cutting through wood that it had not much issue with before. Would this quick interaction with some rocks be enough to dull the chain that badly? Just looking at the chain it didnt look bad at all... I guess sharpening it couldn't hurt? The chain is practically brand new, as I just put it on yesterday. Its an 72LPX072G OREGON SUPER 70 chain.

Hitting stones usually takes down the outside (top) of the cutter

It often takes a lot of sharpening to get past this damaged area

Between my father and I we have three 6401's. Each one had dry slightly rusty sprocket bearings. Just cleaned and greased them up. Now they are good to go!

A trick I use to clean the needle bearing on the clutch hub is to spray WD-40 on the needles, then place the hub upside down on the end of the crankshaft. Spin it around a few times to makes sure it spins freely, then pull it back off and flush the bearing out again. Clean off the WD-40, and dab some grease around the tip of the crankshaft before you reinstall the clutch hub the right way.

Latest posts

Back