clutch removal/sprocket replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twstm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anybody give me a general idea of how to remove the clutch on my Poulan so I can replace the drive sprocket. Now that I have a new saw coming I thought I would fix this one up a little and experiment with it.
I've never done any repair work on chainsaws, but I'm a fairly decent mechanic.

Maybe It was less than that...maybe I'm getting senile in my old age. It has Poulan Pro 295 marked on the case Model # 530-029086, Type 1:popcorn:

Except no chain brake

Cut4fun said:
Yep started production in 1993. Your right. Didnt seem like it had been out that long, boy time flys when your getting older.http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...c2b3efd6af050e6b88256f77001bfbdd?OpenDocument

Yep, That looks like it, except there was no chain brake on it when I bought it. I thought it odd at the time, but I got it from the local dealer who was getting out of the chainsaw/lawnmower business. Think I paid $75 dollars for it back then, it was his demo model. Thing doesn't owe me a dime. Used it hard and put it away wet and still runs good. Took a peek at the piston while I was at it and it looks great.

Clutch

Urbicide said:
Does the clutch assembly have two shoes with one spring holding the shoes to the center portion?:popcorn:

Yes, it does.

Clutch removal

Twswm? The first thing to remember is that the clutch is held on with a Left Hand thread. If you happen to have an air impact gun then you are all set. The seckondary method is to pull out the plug, rotate the engine until the ports are covered,then with a small diamater rope simply fill the cylinder with the rope and turn the engine "Clockwise" to compress the rope.Then simply use a socket with a ratchet and give a firm wrap on the clutch socket head. This should break the clutch free from the crankshaft.Remmember that this is a left hand thread. It will seem as if you are tightening the clutch but you are not. I happen to have an impact wrench and the sprocket came right off. Hope this help's Ken

Here is a link to a tool sold by Bailey's that you will need.
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1510?mv_session_id=4s7qxIFU&product_sku=31115
The tool has two pins that fit onto the center portion of the clutch. You will have two half round slots that are located between the two shoes. This tool gives you a means of attaching a socket to your clutch. The threads on the crank are left-handed. I use an impact wrench to take mine off. Works very well for me. There are other methods for clutch removal that you can find here on AS.

Take care
Vince :popcorn:

Spanner

Urbicide said:
Here is a link to a tool sold by Bailey's that you will need.
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1510?mv_session_id=4s7qxIFU&product_sku=31115
The tool has two pins that fit onto the center portion of the clutch. You will have two half round slots that are located between the two shoes. This tool gives you a means of attaching a socket to your clutch. The threads on the crank are left-handed. I use an impact wrench to take mine off. Works very well for me. There are other methods for clutch removal that you can find here on AS.

Take care
Vince :popcorn:
I was afraid of that. I figured it had left handed threads because of the rotation. Now if I can find that old Drag Link socket maybe I can modify it work...or a Spanner wrench?

I made one out of a old socket and a hack saw. Just make sure your socket is big enough to leave the metal prongs you leave attached in the right places.

I made a socket to remove it also. It was easier to make one then to try to find/buy one. I think I used an old 3/8" drive, 11/16" socket, and my 4-1/2" angle grinder. It was easy enough to cut away the rim and leave behind two pins. Rope in the cylinder trick and parts were free in no time.

Tool

caspian said:
I made a socket to remove it also. It was easier to make one then to try to find/buy one. I think I used an old 3/8" drive, 11/16" socket, and my 4-1/2" angle grinder. It was easy enough to cut away the rim and leave behind two pins. Rope in the cylinder trick and parts were free in no time.

Just made one out of an old 3/4" impact socket with the 4-1/2" angle grinder. Used the impact gun and off it came. Thanks for all the help everyone. Caspian, I see you live in NE PA too...where are you at?

Latest posts

Back