CMI 5/8 block.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently got a CMI 5/8'' block and some 5/8 husky rope from tree stuff. Both are nice and I am happy with them. I thought they would handle must my needs, but when up a big pine taking a 250 lb chuck that pulley is looking kind of small. It's rated for 28,000lbs. So on paper the working load should easily handle a 300 lb piece even on a short dead catch, but I recently seen a 3/4'' cmi pulley that had failed while lowering a piece that big. Anyone else own a 5/8CMI block and what do you catch with it?(The 3/4 block that failed may not of been screwed in all the way)I going to get a bigger block and some 3/4'' rope anyway, but Ied like a real world view of the 5/8 blocks ability. Thanks

I recently got a CMI 5/8'' block and some 5/8 husky rope from tree stuff. Both are nice and I am happy with them. I thought they would handle must my needs, but when up a big pine taking a 250 lb chuck that pulley is looking kind of small. It's rated for 28,000lbs. So on paper the working load should easily handle a 300 lb piece even on a short dead catch, but I recently seen a 3/4'' cmi pulley that had failed while lowering a piece that big. Anyone else own a 5/8CMI block and what do you catch with it?(The 3/4 block that failed may not of been screwed in all the way)I going to get a bigger block and some 3/4'' rope anyway, but Ied like a real world view of the 5/8 blocks ability. Thanks

I've got that same block and have dropped some 500+ lb limbs on it never any problems. The one you saw fail must not have been screwed in all the way or something. I trust my cmi blocks without a doubt...use mine with 5/8ths tenex loopie, works everytime. Don't doubt them beast. Remember the golden rule trust your equipment and take care of it... I have dropped 800+lb limbs on it a few times as well with no problem

That block is more than adequate for the weight you are talking about beast. I would almost guarantee that the 3/4 block you saw fail came unscrewed.

I blocked these chunks with my 3/4 CMI. Probably 1000 to 1200 LBS. I am sure your 5/8's would handle half that size easily.

badtree014.jpg

badtree013.jpg

It's a good block. I've negative rigged some big blocks that should have been on 3/4" with it and it held solid. Take it for what it's worth, but I feel I've abused it at times and it takes it.

I use the CMI 1" a bunch and trust me, Its overkill. Thats a whole lot of block and loopie to be lugging up a tree. I opted for the Zinc plated 3/4" CMI block and it handles pretty much whatever I throw at it and the MBS is less than that of your 5/8" block. I have found that the most important link of any rigging setup is the groundperson. If the man on the ropes understands Static/dynamic load and the ability to let the rope "run" you save lots of wear and tear on your equipment.

I have the 5/8" CMI and use it for everything. It's rated at 28,000 lbs. if you use a 10:1 safety margin, your working load will be up to 1,400 lbs because of the 2:1 created at the pulley. You'd be hard pressed to get close to that breaking strength, even with crappy rigging and a stupid groundie. A force factor of 5 would be difficult to achieve with common, trade standard rigging. But I guess it never hurts to have more tools in yer bag.

I have the 5/8" CMI and use it for everything. It's rated at 28,000 lbs. if you use a 10:1 safety margin, your working load will be up to 1,400 lbs because of the 2:1 created at the pulley. You'd be hard pressed to get close to that breaking strength, even with crappy rigging and a stupid groundie. A force factor of 5 would be difficult to achieve with common, trade standard rigging. But I guess it never hurts to have more tools in yer bag.

Well put boot! The block is damn good, just smooth out the edges on the sheaves to make it more rope friendly at all angles and you got a block that could last a very long time..

Thanks everyone. I check out all the specs before I bought it, but it did look kind of delicate compared to the big 1inch one I normally have to use. Its always good to hear ,''real life,'' reviews. I'll use it with more confidence now. again thanks.
Wade.

Back