C'mon everyone, show your Christmas gift projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Cliff, much appreciate the complement but this type of thing cannot be reproduced by anyone not experiencing 50 below for extended periods of time.

But I suppose you could do a local scene....
I just sand smooth, put on a fair thick layer of black gesso (any kind of primer, just to seal the wood) and then have at it with oil. I see no reason why you couldn't use any other kind of paint, that you may be used to.
Peter.

Beautiful!!!!

I made this quilt/blanket hanger for my mom yesterday and today:

attachment.php

The back board is a piece of Birch that's just started the spalting process - the white rot has bleached out parts of the wood but it isn't unsound yet, and no black demarcating lines have formed either. Not a remarkable piece but it has some character. The front bar piece is a piece of knotty Juniper. This stuff is incredibly difficult to plane down. It chips and tears out like nobody's business in my thickness planer, no matter how light of a pass I take. It's manageable on the jointer if I take maybe 1/64" per pass off, and feed VERY slowly. Oddly enough though, the router cut glass-smooth every time. And yes, all my knives were/are sharp! I even changed the planer knives out just to make sure. The juniper takes a sanding and finish extremely well though. I have two coats of Tung oil on everything here so far, and you can see how much it made the Juniper's color and grain pop out.

attachment.php

The clamping knobs are made from some Birch root burl scrap pieces. I put a threaded insert in each one, and drilled each end of both the backer and clamp bar, and installed one of those headless bolts that have wood threads on one end and 1/4" machine threads on the other in each end. I forget what those bolts are called. Handy buggers though.

I can't take credit for this design - I've seen many similar ones before, not the least of which was one that Woodshop here showed in the "what are you building..." thread. Just kinda copying them out of memory. If I remember right though, Woodshop's had threaded wooden dowels and nuts at the ends to clamp the bar down.

Anyway, let's see those projects!

I'll try to post some pics. tomorrow...Just sprayed the last coat on this morning and some things I made.....
Really like how the color of the diffrent wood stands out....Great job!!! :clap:

Also made a wood tool box for my 3yr. grandson for Christmas this week. I cut up scrap wood and blocks to fill the box. He almost spotted it today in the shop. Papa had to think fast and throw his shop apron over it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Here is the tool box I made for my Grandson for Christmas. Not as fancy as some you your projects, but I had fun making it and I know my Grandson Antonio will enjoy the blocks I will fill it with.

jerry-

Just blocks? Throw in a wooden hammer, wooden screwdriver, wooden wrench set, safety goggles, gloves and a wooden car, and you will have jr. sidekick.

You know...I still have the old toolbox my grandpa made for me when I was too small to know. In the following years I used to get the odd tool here and there from him. My first tool...a sharpening stone...why would I need that. It wasn't until after he was gone that the whole thing sparked....now I'm a professional full timer. Wish I spent more time with him.
That tool box was a great idea. Spend some years filling it with tools...teaching him how to use each one as you go.

Just blocks? Throw in a wooden hammer, wooden screwdriver, wooden wrench set, safety goggles, gloves and a wooden car, and you will have jr. sidekick.

LOWES has a Black & Decker tools set that has tools, and all the above things you mention in a kit for $12.99. So went down this morning and got a set before they sell out. So my dilemma now is, do I put the blocks I made in the tool box, or the tool set..... Hummm....

jerry-

You know...I still have the old toolbox my grandpa made for me when I was too small to know. In the following years I used to get the odd tool here and there from him. My first tool...a sharpening stone...why would I need that. It wasn't until after he was gone that the whole thing sparked....now I'm a professional full timer. Wish I spent more time with him.
That tool box was a great idea. Spend some years filling it with tools...teaching him how to use each one as you go.

Antonio seems to be a tool guy, he loves to come out to my shop and look at all the tools, so this Grandpa is planning to spend plenty of time with him showing him how to build stuff. I still have my tool box I got when I was young.

jerry-

attachment.php

This is a set of blocks I made for one of my grandsons last year. I made the box to hold all the blocks with one open spot so that he could get them out.

attachment.php

This is a set of blocks I made for one of my grandsons last year. I made the box to hold all the blocks with one open spot so that he could get them out.

Backwoods,

Now that is a great idea for blocks. My Grandson is a little over three and this would be a good way to get him going on his letters & numbers. Hope you don't mind if another grandpa copy's your idea?

jerry-

attachment.php

attachment.php

A Bee hive box for my dear wife.
Ok not quite a mill and turn it job but it did come in a flat pak kit with nil instructions so I'm pretty proud of myself.
Hope them bees like the baby poo brown paint no other water based color in the shed.

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

A Bee hive box for my dear wife.
Ok not quite a mill and turn it job but it did come in a flat pak kit with nil instructions so I'm pretty proud of myself.
Hope them bees like the baby poo brown paint no other water based color in the shed.

I think you wife will like it a lot. My wife likes when I make her something, it means more to her that I spent time making something she'll like.

jerry-

The shop list is starting to take shape. The first project is moms and each of the kids and I will make her a spoon, I will put together a rack for them to hang on as well. Both of the boys project is still up in the air, But the girls project will be a dollhouse out of highly figured maple. It may turn into a birthday present, as there will be a lot of detail work involved. Not to mention that it will be my first dollhouse.

SWMBO has ordered another stand for her "Gum drop" jewelry.

Earlier this year I made this one for her;
attachment.php

This time she said something rustic she said.

So I went to the scrap wood pile and there I found some grey scungy looking bits of something coniferous (well it certainly smelled like that when I cut it) and sliced it up on the bandsaw where by it sort of fell to bits so I glued it back together and made this.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought I did a crappy job but she is delighted and now it has been suggested that I might like to make leetlte boxes out of the wood the gumnuts come from!!! and then she could sell boxed sets!

Cheers

Oh, I really like that turtle.
So what does the bottom of the turtle look like? Did you dado two grooves for those feet? How do you keep his head on, once you slide it out? Way cool...what a good idea. What about scale...is it about 8" across (small screw head in table top).

I deleted my previous post due to the size of the pics I inserted. I am reposting with the pics resized. These are some cutting boards I made from cherry and walnut. The walnut was milled from a 120 year old barn timber. The last board also has some black locust and bubinga in it. All of the boards are end grain.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 117972

View attachment 117973

View attachment 117974

Latest posts

Back