CNC Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had parts come out of a chuck, or vise, and hang out in space...:cheers:.

I made three cylinders that were on the robot thingy that got lost after it landed on Mars ....... I always kinda wondered if I screwed something up, LOL.

Sam

And I thought I was cool because I hacked "Wild Thing" into my Poulan with a church key.

That is the coolest mod I've seen on here.

Now there's a nifty idea:) Make your own light weight bars.

Ya'll better be glad I don't have a CNC, I'd have all kinds of kool parts.:agree2: Now a CNC with a 360° pencil grinder to make the perfect consecutive ports on all your certain model saws, you could build a saw just like the last and know it will run the same, they do it for high performance auto cylinder heads why not a saw...

....hard to believe the buzz it's generating here.
It's because the work is first rate and looks so cool.

What CAM software are you using? I developed a CAM program for a CAD software company that plugged right into their CAD software. They had it coded over in Russia and the Russians simply wouldn't listen to my instructions so the program was a big failure. Too bad though. The CAD program was really cool and the CAM would have been the best in the world, but they screwed it all up.

attachment.php

First off, thank you to all for the kind words, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Secondly, unlike cordarrow, I have no cadcam program. I do have cad. Thirdly, assuming Brad doesn't understand how things are machined is just plain wrong. The machining wasn't that difficult. Creating a font (go ahead and try to find it somewhere, good luck) and insuring that the right surface area was removed from the muffler was the difficult part. It was all point to point programming. The cutting itself took minutes. The "engineering" of the font so it looked right and was creating the right surface area and manually programming took hours. It was more than just importing text from somewhere and then having a post processor spit out the code....

That was one of the really cool features of my little CAD/CAM program. The CAD side could create any text with any font, then the CAM side would convert it to a pocket and spit out the code in a couple of clicks. That mod you produced would have taken less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

im not impressed with stihl and doubt you guys will like the answer.

very good muffler mod.

Here's what Stihl had to say.

Hello Brad.
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
There is no legal reason that you cannot put the STIHL name on a STIHL
part for personal use.
However, there is a problem if you are selling this part as a STIHL part
because it is no longer a STIHL approved part.
This part has now been modified in a manner that it was never intended
to be used.
Also, there is a problem anytime you modify the exhaust.
You have now changed the exhaust flow and the back pressure of the unit.
This may cause the unit to run faster or slower that it should and can
also cause the unit to run richer or leaner than it should.
You will also void any warranty by modifying this part.
I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let
me know.

I'm not sure how this applies to what I'm doing. I'm not selling a part. I'm simply modifying someone elses, just like porting your cylinder. I thought I'd get you guys response before replying.

The way I'm reading their response Brad... They don't want you to make a profit from the mod. So simply 'throw the mod in' with your port jobs. Of course, your port work will have to cost a little more. ;)

If you ain't 'selling it', no profit is being made.

Probably a little grey, but I'd say it's a go, as long as you don't go into the business of selling the muffler as a standalone part. Cool news though.

Here's what Stihl had to say.

There is no legal reason that you cannot put the STIHL name on a STIHL part for personal use.
However, there is a problem if you are selling this part as a STIHL part because it is no longer a STIHL approved part.

Aha, kind of like making Koenig take all the Mercedes badges off a car when they modify it.

I'm not sure how this applies to what I'm doing. I'm not selling a part. I'm simply modifying someone elses, just like porting your cylinder. I thought I'd get you guys response before replying.

Their response is typical corporate mumbo jumbo. To which I would apply an old corporate adage "It's easier to ask forgiveness than get permission".

Toss the muffler cover in as a freebie, your signature, and let em roll!

I guess it's all in how you word it. For example, truck stop hookers can't sell sex, but they can sell rocks. You buy a rock for $20 and they polish your gear shift for free. :jawdrop:

Back