CNC Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about if you stated " send me YOUR muffler to be modified and $$.$$ for labor, shipping and handling" and describe that this is an after market mod that will perform differently w/out the proper adjustments and that stihl doesn't suggest such changes. people who know different would,nt care. Just a thought!!

ohhhhhhhh yeah a water jet is very capable of makeing thought if not much closer tighter cuts. thost things are awesome to say the least

i was impressed with the reply from stihl. i thought it would be much worse than that.

A laser needs a very flat area to work in due to the proximity of the lens to the workpiece.

Here's what Stihl had to say.

There is no legal reason that you cannot put the STIHL name on a STIHL
part for personal use.

However, there is a problem if you are selling this part as a STIHL part
because it is no longer a STIHL approved part.

I'd have to say they left the question unanswered. You can do anything for personal use (put an apple on it and call it the I-Saw), and you clearly have no intent to pass the muffler off as a Stihl part. There's a big grey area there, and it is intentional.

You might want to check with Patrick Ireland to see what constraints there were on getting that run of Stihl badges done, at least in terms of the disclaimers you'd have to give.

I just followed up with this reply. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you for your promt response. You were just as timely when I inquired about my Contra/Lightning I just acquired. I appreciate that.

About the muffler cover, I am aware of the performance and tuning issues concerning this modification, so that's not a concern. I port chainsaws and would like to include this cover modification as an option. I mod the mufflers anyway, so this would just be a stylish way of doing in. The owner of the saw would only be charged for the actual machining of the cover. Full disclosure would be given concerning the tuning.

No reply yet.

Are you suprised? Their first reply was a non-reply. The way you worded this one will require a more difinitive answer. You can bet your milk money that legal or atleast higher up is going to word this response, if you get one.

I would imagine that you'll either get no reply, as they don't care beyond what they said in their first response - or you'll get a reply like I did when my dealer phoned them about my badges and they actually said they don't care... but in your case they'll probably just say the same - fire away, just don't market them as a Stihl approved part because they aren't, and running one will cause your saw to explode.
What if you stuck one of the "new" badges on the muffler? They don't care, but the badge might make the saw explode? Could it cause a new Black Hole in the universe?
It's like taping a piece of buttered toast (butter side up) to a cat's back, then dropping the cat. Buttered toast always lands butter side down, but cats always land on their feet. Result - the cat stays hovering in mid air, spinning faster and faster until it just blows up all over the place in a mess of cat innards and toast crumbs.

At the end of the day, Stihl want to sell saws, yeah? And an enthusiast community does more than buy one saw each every five years... more like five saws every year... and like the badges, it's free advertising for them... I wouldn't be surprised if Stihl started doing the same thing themselves if they can keep it EPA legal - because it looks cooler than a plain muffler, and looks sell saws to a certain extent.

Besides it looking good - how does it run and how does it sound!!!

My bet is if Stihl respond, they will unfortunately say no. It's doesn't matter if you are selling the part or a service, an idea, or rocks and knobs, profit is being derived from a trade marked name and all the inherent reputation behind that name. You can provide all the disclaimers in the world but after the paperwork is lost, no matter how good the mod, their name is on that part, and if it goes pear shaped, their reputation suffers. That is one reason why trade names were invented. I'd bet they would not even approve of a fee for service that did not modify the part and just engraved/painted their name on a component since this derives profit from their name. It would be very interesting to hear what Stihl would say for example about a business that just cleans and repaints Stihl bars back to original design and includes the repainting of the Stihl Logo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back