CNC Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's a mod like this worth? We talked about me selling these as an option on my ported saws. What do you think?
I think you would get a letter from Stihl's lawyers demanding that you stop pirating their mark. I don't think they have much of a sense of humor when it comes to their name. :cry:

Too bad cause that mod looks so cool.

Get rid of the rest of the shield. Cut out the letters as a mirror image, then use it for branding husky owners.

On second thoughts... leave the letters as is - that way. when the husky guy looks in the mirror, he'll see STIHL clear as day.

Last edited:
I think you would get a letter from Stihl's lawyers demanding that you stop pirating their mark. I don't think they have much of a sense of humor when it comes to their name. :cry:

Too bad cause that mod looks so cool.

Agreed, anybody but Stihl making money from the Stihl trademark is going to have legal problems. But the possibilities are endless.

Jack

quote from howellhandmade:Agreed, anybody but Stihl making money from the Stihl trademark is going to have legal problems. But the possibilities are endless.

yeah but couldn't sell the machining service instead of the logo to get around the legal BS. Just a thought. I would sure like to have my 660 cover done like that:clap:

Now that is top notch..Let me find a extra inner cover for my 56 mag and i'll be sending it to ya!!!Rep Rep Rep:cheers:

Brilliant

Programming is easy but the Idea. Double Rrep.
You can be very creative when you want.
We won`t tell your wive/girlfriend

cheers

I told you guys that Nic had an awesome mod up his sleave!:clap: I couldn't wait to see this cover and got to see it in person this afternoon. It is killer!

Nic just got this 026 so we went to tune it with a stock cover for a baseline. The saw wouldn't hardly run. I pulled a compression check and it was struggling to make 120 PSI. I had already looked at the P&C and they looked great. I pulled the jug since we wanted to clean the carbon out anyway. The rings are SHOT. The top ring had a gap of .037" and the bottom a gap of .027". No wonder it ran like crap! We're going to put a new piston in it and a carb kit. Should be good as new. Can't wait to get that new muffler cover on there and tuned in.

So what's a mod like this worth? We talked about me selling these as an option on my ported saws. What do you think?

Great idea. One of those things that are important when running a business. Present a professional image and do it in a manner that others are not.

I think Stihl will have an issue with the logo, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. How about changing the logo to Snellerized? Or the model number of that particular saw? Playboy Bunny? Chainsaw? The New Jersey 1 finger wave? For the folks in the PNW, you could do a Spotted Owl cover...

Lots of other ways to go with it. As for a signature to your handy work, go for it! What I would like is your contact information and an idea on pricing. I have a handful of customers who are in need of your service, from restoration projects, muffler mods, and three that I can think of that want full porting jobs.

Cool stuff, would look good on the 460. keep us up to date on more:cheers:

I didn't even think about the 70cc+ front covers. Only thing about those would be finding a solid way of putting a screen behind it. That would be fine on a cookie cutter, no screen needed, hmmmmmmm.:D

Just a thought....

If you are putting the Stihl logo on a Stihl saw, and only charging for the machine shop work, is that still really making money off of a trademark?

Since as others mentioned you could put any different design there, I would think there is a way around it. As long as no one was trying to pass it along as a Stihl product, I would imagine that no one would make a fuss about things.

Then again Im no lawyer and its not me they would sue, so I guess best to err on the side of caution...

Cool stuff, would look good on the 460. keep us up to date on more:cheers:

Lots of room to work with on the 440-880 covers. They have the ribs in them, but nothing else in the way.

I really can't see Stihl caring about this. It's the Stihl brand on a Stihl product. I'm not putting it on some other product or selling the logo itself. It would only be the service of the machining itself.

I really can't see Stihl caring about this. It's the Stihl brand on a Stihl product. I'm not putting it on some other product or selling the logo itself. It would only be the service of the machining itself.
That's actually an interesting point. The question I guess would be, are you increasing the value of something by using their mark. They would probably argue that point. Their mark is theirs, for them to use or apply as they see fit. These big companies tend to be quite petty about things like that. If you're making money by applying their mark to anything, they're probably going to take issue. Sad.

I spent 5 years and $300 grand on a patent and trademark lawsuit. If there was one lesson I learned quickly, it was that the lawyers will argue endlessly over trivial things that were just not important. But that's what the whole lawsuit centered around.

Latest posts

Back