Coal at $240 a ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was looking in to buying coal, its all baged coal at like $240 a ton thats freaking crazy. If you burn coal how much do you burn and how much is it.

I was looking in to buying coal, its all baged coal at like $240 a ton thats freaking crazy. If you burn coal how much do you burn and how much is it.

down here i can get coal at 35 buc's a ton all day long...not the best coal in the world but it burns good.....get a semi and head down....make yourself some money!!

ghitch75,

You got a phone number for that coal mine....I mite be doin g a road trip.

I paid $75/ton delivered, run of mine stuff, 5 ton load. I still can't believe how much heat coal produces compared to wood. I will snap a shot of the firebox this evening.

did 2 years ago thinkin' about get a load or 2 this year......yep the ol' coal burns hot when you crank the blower up.....straightened mine 3 point hitch arms for my WD45 in a coal firin'....just like a forge :cheers:

That is obviously for Anthracite coal. Although that is still high. You can get Anthracite coal up the road from me in Pa. for around $180-$200 a ton.

Bituminous coal is only $45 a ton here. I just got 4 ton today for $180. It should last me into february. Anthracite and Bituminous coal are two totally different animals. Anthracite has WAY more carbon and burns better. But, the BTu output of the bituminous mined here is sometimes actually higher than Anthracite.
BUt, with either coal you choose, the fire will be way, way hottere than the hottest fire a person can produce with wood, ( no matter what wood you use) and burn alot longer.

Last edited:
Is there any coal mines in upper IN or OH??? I been looking for them but I cant find a phone number to call them and maybe pick some up soon.

You guys have any phone numbers for your coal guys.

Is there any coal mines in upper IN or OH??? I been looking for them but I cant find a phone number to call them and maybe pick some up soon.

You guys have any phone numbers for your coal guys.

here are 3 you can try...

Hawthorn mine...812-659-3392

JLS INC...812-275-1901

Sunrise Coal ...812-665-2555

been busy...i'll get you more #'s

what's the aprox. burntime compared to say seasoned Oak.

example: one ton = one cord seasoned oak ?

also how clean does coal burn? I've seen posts about how much smoke burning coal puts off.

I'm burning wood in a dense residential neighborhood. have no choice but to burn clean.

only time my custom JUCA fireplace insert smokes is during startup. after insert reaches operating temps... can barely see wisps coming out of chimney. burns real clean, even when burning green wood. not recommended, but sometimes that's all you can get.

just cleaned my chimney after 1 3/4 seasons heating 100% with wood. mostly dust come down, with a few tiny specks of creosote.

That is obviously for Anthracite coal. Although that is still high. You can get Anthracite coal up the road from me in Pa. for around $180-$200 a ton.

Bituminous coal is only $45 a ton here. I just got 4 ton today for $180. It should last me into february. Anthracite and Bituminous coal are two totally different animals. Anthracite has WAY more carbon and burns better. But, the BTu output of the bituminous mined here is sometimes actually higher than Anthracite.
BUt, with either coal you choose, the fire will be way, way hottere than the hottest fire a person can produce with wood, ( no matter what wood you use) and burn alot longer.

what's the aprox. burntime compared to say seasoned Oak.

example: one ton = one cord seasoned oak ?

also how clean does coal burn? I've seen posts about how much smoke burning coal puts off.

I'm burning wood in a dense residential neighborhood. have no choice but to burn clean.

only time my custom JUCA fireplace insert smokes is during startup. after insert reaches operating temps... can barely see wisps coming out of chimney. burns real clean, even when burning green wood. not recommended, but sometimes that's all you can get.

just cleaned my chimney after 1 3/4 seasons heating 100% with wood. mostly dust come down, with a few tiny specks of creosote.

I don't know for sure the ratio of wood to coal but coal lasts quite a while. I burn Bituminous coal which does throw some smoke when first put on the hot fire. But after a few minutes all I can see it heat vapor out the chimney and no smoke at all.
Anthracite coal has way less smoke at start up, ( if any at all ) But, in turn you pay alot more money for the anthracite.

I live on top of a VERY cold mountain at 3,000 ft. My house is 3,500 sq. ft and I heat my garage also. Last year i only burned 5 ton of coal. That cost me $250.

thanks KTM... since my JUCA insert also can burn coal.

I'll chase down some anthracite coal to try out.

besides some type of basket to hold coal. what else is needed?

I could wait to throw in coal until after wood fire gets to full temp.

When I throw a bucket full of bit on the fire, the smoke reminds me of when Flash Gordon killed Ming the Merciless, you know, when he turned into vapor. :popcorn:
But once it burns off in a couple of minutes, it actually burns pretty clean. It is dusty, ashy and requires more ash maintaince than wood but who cares.
I have YET to touch my wood pile this year. I never knew how nice coal burns.

looks like only bituminous coal is available in Okla.

$75 per ton if you can get a coal mine to sell it to you...
almost no one around here burns it in homes.

it's all industrial applications sold by the semi-trailer load.

Coal burns nice and hot, but around here the availability of wood is the way to go. And other than the fuel costs to run the saws and splitter, its free. Burns alot cleaner than coal also.

thanks KTM... since my JUCA insert also can burn coal.

I'll chase down some anthracite coal to try out.

besides some type of basket to hold coal. what else is needed?

I could wait to throw in coal until after wood fire gets to full temp.

If your stove is set up to also burn coal, their should be some kind of grates in it that would allow the air to come from UNDER the coal. You have to get a really hot wood fire going BEFORE putting the coal on it. Be careful not to smother the fire with the coal. Just add a little bit at a time.

my JUCA has an open bottom and uses original firebrick.

fresh air feed comes from duct built into firebrick floor. this duct doubles as an ashes dump. planning on building a secondary burn system by channeling fresh air into metal ducts that empties out on top of burn chamber. this will pull back down unburned gases for a secondary burn.

Latest posts

Back