Husqvarna 240 rus great but dies out of the cut.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a 240 in and like I said starts nice and cuts nice but when you fiish the cut it dies and 1 pull it's running again to repeat the same attitude every time - heard that is a major problem with this model, any fix for this -cheap saw I know but good enough for home owner saw if I can solve this issue- saw looks like new.

That could be quite a few things. I assume the fuel is known to be good, as well as the fuel filter and that filter is positioned in the tank so that is definitely fully submerged regardless of how the saw is positioned.

It most likely just needs a carb adjustment or carb kit, but I do like to check everything else first. Spark plug and ignition / flywheel gap, compression test, leak-down test. You can do somewhat of a visual of the piston through the exhaust port too.

I did a full rebuild on a 240 last year. It had a few problems. The main one was it would rev and engage the clutch on its own after a cut due to an air leak between the crank case and cylinder. It would also vapor lock and not start after any significant use due to a clogged fuel vent and sticking duck bill valve.

I made a few videos and added them to the thread. One is the initial rebuild, then the first test, then my "patented vent / valve snorkel hack" with leak-down test of the block and fuel tank. Not sure if you'll find any of it useful for your case, but here it is:

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/husqvarna-240-rebuild-project.364774/

Runs great all around like a normal saw, doesn't have a problem in the cut but when you finish the cut it quits - one pull and it idles nice and will do that after every cut, - might be the coil not going to idle mode immeditly, saw looks like it just came off the shelf new, did some reading up on it and it seems to be a common problem with that model, haven't had time to look it over, have a lot of other saws that need my attention first.

I haven't run into that on the 240. Ignition coil would not have been my first guess. Usually dying after WOT is a lean condition where it starts fine and idles fine, but will stall if it goes from WOT to idle. If all the fuel lines and filter are confirmed to be good, air filter, spark arrestor, flywheel gap, etc, I'd be tempted to open up the low side by 1/8 turn, test and go another 1/8 if needed, just to see. Hopefully it's something trivial. Maybe if anyone else has had the issue they'll chime in. Good luck and keep us posted when you get around to looking at the saw.

Latest posts

Back