Coastal Redwoods or Sequoia's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Coastal Redwoods or Giant Sequoia's?

What is a better tree to plant the Coastal Redwoods or Sequoia's? Or would something else's be better for growing fast and providing a canopy ?

A piece of property I own in SW Washington is getting logged in the coming few weeks. It is a stand of large alder and Fir and some hemlock. I intend to replant with a mix of fir, ceder and hemlock. My questions is in regards to planting some redwoods along the road just because I like the look of them and have been told they gain some height rather quickly compared to others. Or should I just stay with the mix of trees I was going to plant the rest of the acreage with?

Last edited:
Coast Redwood is Sequoia. Sequoia sempervirens. You must br referring to the "Big Tree", Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). I prefer the Coast Redwood. They do better for me here in "Dixie". Spent a lot of my youth stumbling around through groves of those giants.

Go with the giant sequoia

I would highly suggest that you plant the giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). These trees grow very fast out here on the west coast and they can reach heights of 30 to 40 ft in 15 years. They have a very broad base so leave plenty of room to grow. They have a nice conical shape to them and I have never seen one that has blown over in 25 yrs of doing tree work. On the minus side they can shed alot of needles in the fall and the needles don't ever seem to decompose. I'd suggest that you leave the branches all the way to the ground but you can raise them if needed. They are a very good looking tree. The coastal redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), on the other hand, grows to be a ratty looking tree that easily loses its branches every time the wind blows and is considered a very high maintenence tree. Although this tree grows to be the tallest tree in the world under ideal circumstances, I doubt that you can provide those circumstances nor will you live long enough to see it grow that tall. You will live long enough to regret planting it.

On occassion, I see a Coastal Redwood (Sequioadendron) that has a tidy branch structure.

But I consistently see Giant Sequoia (Sequoia) that have a good form with nice branch structure.

My preference is the latter.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking around and I see Giant Sequoia's farily commonly here around town (Vancouver, WA) But not Coastal redwoods, I do have about a Dozen Coastal redwoods around my gate area on the property(Upper Kalama river) that My Grandfather planted. They look pretty good but if the Giants are going to grow faster and hold up better I will plant them along the road. Thanks again.

I think wi5th your location and over say after 50-60 years the redwood will be a better choice. I have removed alot of dead or severely declining Sequoia over the years, right around 40+ years they seem to have a little trouble around here. Eugene is a different climate and soil conditions. My opinionis they arent getting dry enough in the summer, or maybe they arent getting that good slow perc that they get in the mountainsd in CA.

Latest posts

Back