Code Horizontal Flue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am currently looking at placing my furnace near my chimney and running a flue liner instead of installing another pre fab chimney. The problem is th oil tanks. What I was going to do is have my furnace on the other side of the sandstoone wall that separates my cellar. The problem is that the flue will have to be horizontal for 10 to 12 feet, I can measure tomorrow. Also the flue will be above one of my three oil tanks. I think I would thus need a triple wall pipe (I hope I used the term correctly, I mean the pipe with air space around it.

My question is what is the code for horizontal length and what clearance should I have for the oil tank. Also, doe is sound okay to do this above the one oil tank, maybe I can move it but I doubt it?

well first off i dont know the code, but 10-12 ft of horizontal wouldnt pass code anywhere, nevermind being above an oil tank!
if you could even get the flue to draw enough to get the smoke out, you would still have to clean the flue ATLEAST once a week!

just for the horizontal run would require 2 90's plus whatever other bends need to be in it, you're just asking for ALOT of trouble

Horizontal pipe

well first off i dont know the code, but 10-12 ft of horizontal wouldnt pass code anywhere, nevermind being above an oil tank!
if you could even get the flue to draw enough to get the smoke out, you would still have to clean the flue ATLEAST once a week!

just for the horizontal run would require 2 90's plus whatever other bends need to be in it, you're just asking for ALOT of trouble

Agreed ioo%, code calls for no more than 10 feet of horrizontal pipe and oil tank code is 5 feet from any flame. I WOULD NOT RUN A SMOKE PIPE ANYWHERE NEAR AN OIL TANK !!!!!!

The problem is that I have two tanks to the left of the fireplace in the basement and when the old coal furnace was removed the third oil tank was placed in the way of the opening to the chimney. How far away would the flue and furnace need to be away from the oil tanks. I would hate to install a new pre fab chimney when I could just put a liner in my brick one.

I recall the rule of thumb to be no more than 10' of pipe with at least an inch of rise for each foot of run, not ideal, but it could work.
Need to move that oil tank though...

yup easiest solution would be to move that oil tank, and much cheaper than the double or triple wall pipe, or burning the house down...

also just wondering, why in the hell do you need 3 oil tanks and burning wood? if you're useing that much oil and burning wood, you should probably look into insulating the house, with that much oil capicaty the insulation would probably pay for itself in a year if not sooner...

I will attach a pic to show you my situation. What are the lengths I should be away from the oil tanks by code so nothing happens?

Also, I am putting in a wood furnace that way I do not have to use that much oil.

Lastly let me know what the code says about the distance from an oil tank and if I am okay, I will probably put up a heat shield wall anyhow just to be safe!!!!!

Last edited:
also just wondering, why in the hell do you need 3 oil tanks and burning wood? if you're useing that much oil and burning wood, you should probably look into insulating the house, with that much oil capicaty the insulation would probably pay for itself in a year if not sooner...

I agree, ^^^ get rid of 1 or even 2 of those tanks, then insulate and go chop some wood!

I have a Yukon wood/oil furnace that I installed last year. I used maybe 4-5 gallons of oil for the whole winter (when we were gone for the weekend or holidays) Point is, you won't need 825 gallons of capacity anymore :msp_thumbsup:

I will attach a pic to show you my situation. What are the lengths I should be away from the oil tanks by code so nothing happens?

Also, I am putting in a wood furnace that way I do not have to use that much oil.

Lastly let me know what the code says about the distance from an oil tank and if I am okay, I will probably put up a heat shield wall anyhow just to be safe!!!!!

if you're not going to use that much oil then why not get rid of them or move them?
as for the code, its going to vary state to state/town to town, call a licenced installer or chimney sweep they can point you in the right direction, although it may pass code with a horizontal run under 10 ft, i highly doubt that any licenced installer would recommend it!

Hey guys my plan is to leave the oil tanks filled for a rainy day because lets face facts the prices are only going to get higher. I think it is too close to put the furnace near any of my tanks. Evene if I move the one tank the furnace will be under five feet from the furnace!! So, at first, I was going to do a horizontal run through the right side of the sandstone wall but if that is no good scratch that idea.

I am installing this for my parents old house, my other two questions are:
1. As far us operating the fire y mom thinks that you need to stoke it and there is a lot of maintenance to keep the fire going is this correct? I think she is thinking of an open fireplace.

2. My second question is, can I use my existing pre fabed 6 inch flue that is used for the oil furnace. I was going to completely disconnect the oil flue completely and then just connect the wood. If I ever need the oil I know I would have to disconnect the wood then reconnect the oil. Is this allowed by code or no? Also, maybe if me going to wood I will not have to use oil at all. However, if I leave the house for hours every Sunday wont my house become to cold and I risk pipes freezing from the wood furnace not going and the oil furnace being disconnected.

Thanks again every one so much for all the advice for me as a new person here.

Wood/Oil

Oil and wood in the same flue is not generally allowed in most states howver have you looked at power venting or direct venting the oil burner and using the existing flue for the wood

You really don't want to be disconnecting the wood stove and oil burner and switching them. A woodstove can vent toxic gasses for days after building a fire depending on wood and and type of stove. Anyone ever let a fire die out and come back a couple days later to make one only to find coals still hot under all the ash? And you really don't want to disconnect the oil burner. All it takes is someone feeling cold and you not home to flip the switch on and fill the house with toxic fumes not knowing that the oil furnace is not vented outside.

In my opinion, this solution is just begging for trouble.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you should ask at the local building inspector's office before running smoke pipe through a wall.

And I'm pretty sure that connecting more than one appliance to a flue isn't allowed, even if only one appliance will be used at any given time.

Hey guys my plan is to leave the oil tanks filled for a rainy day because lets face facts the prices are only going to get higher. I think it is too close to put the furnace near any of my tanks. Evene if I move the one tank the furnace will be under five feet from the furnace!! So, at first, I was going to do a horizontal run through the right side of the sandstone wall but if that is no good scratch that idea.

I am installing this for my parents old house, my other two questions are:
1. As far us operating the fire y mom thinks that you need to stoke it and there is a lot of maintenance to keep the fire going is this correct? I think she is thinking of an open fireplace.

2. My second question is, can I use my existing pre fabed 6 inch flue that is used for the oil furnace. I was going to completely disconnect the oil flue completely and then just connect the wood. If I ever need the oil I know I would have to disconnect the wood then reconnect the oil. Is this allowed by code or no? Also, maybe if me going to wood I will not have to use oil at all. However, if I leave the house for hours every Sunday wont my house become to cold and I risk pipes freezing from the wood furnace not going and the oil furnace being disconnected.

Thanks again every one so much for all the advice for me as a new person here.

Kick the frickin fuel tanks outside.

Judging by your questions, you have zero wood heating experience. Heating with wood takes a lot of time and effort, compared to just turning the thermostat and writing a check to the gas man. Even if you buy wood split and dried, it has to be carried inside, the stove filed 2 or more times per day, ashes taken out and disposed of weekly or more often, and occasional chimney inspections/cleanings. Since you're talking about a wood furnace, and not a stove, I'll assume you'll probably burn anywhere between 5-15 cords (15-45 of the much hated "face" cords that might be advertised in your area). That's a lot of money to buy wood, or a ton of work to process it all yourself. Think cutting, splitting, and stacking a full size pickup load a week - every week - year around, until you get ahead of the game. Working by yourself, that can be a day's work.

I'm not trying to talk you out of making the switch, I just want you to be sure you know what you're getting into.

To answer your questions,

Yes the stove will need to be "stoked" - a couple times a day, maybe 3-4 depending on the stove, your insulation, how warm you like to be, what type of wood you're burning, outside temps, etc.

Using the 6" flue for the oil furnace - maybe. It depends if it's a HT flue or not, and we really have no way of knowing that. It'd be best to have a licensed installer come out and look at your setup. Some stove shops will come out and give you a free estimate of what it will cost, look into that. Also, some furnaces require a larger 8" flue, and your 6" will not be big enough.

Leaving for a couple hours? Not a problem. Leaving for all day? Temperatures will vary as the stove burns down. If you're not going to be happy to come home to a house that might be 5-10° cooler than normal until the stove catches back up, maybe it's not for you.

Have you considered an outdoor wood stove? It would solve some of your problems, and sized properly, they will keep the temp inside more even over a longer period of time, with the drawback of using even more wood than the average inside furnace.

The only way to legally connect wood/oil to the same chimney is to use a wood/oil furnace. You cannot just connect two separate appliances to the same flue. There are a couple MFGs of wood/oil combo furnaces, Yukon, PSG (caddy) and Napoleon (heard bad things about that one though FYI) There may be more, dunno. I think all of those named use at least a 7" chimney (Yukon is 8")

I think most people figure on "stoking" the fire about 3 times a day (on average)

Steve is right, moving those tanks outdoors will solve some problems for you (might make some new ones though too) Be aware if you are storing your fuel oil long term (year or more) you will need to put a fuel stabilizer in it to keep it from growing algae. I have had great luck with Startron for Diesel fuel.

Okay, the problem with the direct venting and power venting is that the only thing close to the furnace are the cement bricks then the brick on the outside of the house, which I would have to drill through. No Thanks. I also can not do a combo furnace because I would have to replace the flue to 7 inches anyhow.

Do they make a pre fabed chimney that has two liners in it so I can hook up the oil and the wood furnace. Also, the oil furnace only requires a five inch flue six inch was just installed. If they make something like this I can then just make the hole bigger in my roof instead of making another hole!!!

Thanks again for all input everyone, I just want to explore my options and use the resources I have available.

Another thing that I considered was putting the furnace on the first floor that way I would not have to walk down stairs to stoke fire etc all the time. My concerns with this are how loud the blower is and to connect it to the duct work of my house the furnace plenum would have to force the hot air downward then sideways throughout the house. Lastly, I do no like this method for the fact that I feel that in the basement my furnace would heat naturally without the blower because it is 7 feet underground and cold. On the other hand I would not have to walk down those awful stairs to stoke and fill the fire!! I think the furnace would look nice since I am considering the englander with the glass door. But for future do they make glass doors for other furnace models?

Again THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Last edited:
A chimney fire in stove pipe will burn so hot the pipe will glow red, maybe fail. I wouldn't even think of 10 ft of near horizontal pipe, I'd run electric heat before I did that [and i'm as cheap as they come] To have this setup near oil tanks would be like a death wish.

Back