Cold snap on its way!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well so far, they got the heat lamp during the day only 1x so far this winter....
And it was the 2 roosters who took turns under it....
the 60 hens no .....

I sell eggs and sometimes in the winter, I have to keep the eggs from freezing till I can get back
out there to get them. And it's often I check. That and we have to keep their water dishes
thawed out. I don't use a heater for their water dish. So we resort to the heat lamp maybe 3x
during the winter. The hens are quite hardy.

And I guessed right. They ended up with 16 hours of plowing today. A long day....
how about,,a heated dog waterer?? inside the bldg.,,theyd use near no current...

This round of cold has passed us in the night. I was up 'round 2:00 and the thermometer read -18°, now at 6:30 it reads -3° and heading for a warmer day than yesterday... maybe mid-teens today. The real "cold snap" is due to arrive on Saturday... when that gets here we won't be seeing any temperatures above negative numbers until Wednesday or possibly Thursday. "They're" still claiming Monday will start out 'round -25° and reach a balmy high of -13°.

I have a mix of chickens and ducks so I have to leave my water jug outside because the ducks make a mess of it inside. It's just a 3 gallon but I use an old cookie tin and put Christmas lights in it. Then I set the jug on top of it. Then I build a plywood surround over and on two sides of the jug (third side is up against coop wall) to keep the wind off it This keeps it thawed out. When it gets really cold like now at -12 I bring it in overnight. The Christmas lights use squat for electricity and they are dirt cheap. Just use clear so you get the most heat. The cookie tin I got at Goodwill for a$1. The plywood I brought home scraps from work. Total investment is under $5. I screw the tin onto a board as well to lift it off the ground just a bit.
heat.jpg

I have a mix of chickens and ducks so I have to leave my water jug outside because the ducks make a mess of it inside. It's just a 3 gallon but I use an old cookie tin and put Christmas lights in it. Then I set the jug on top of it. Then I build a plywood surround over and on two sides of the jug (third side is up against coop wall) to keep the wind off it This keeps it thawed out. When it gets really cold like now at -12 I bring it in overnight. The Christmas lights use squat for electricity and they are dirt cheap. Just use clear so you get the most heat. The cookie tin I got at Goodwill for a$1. The plywood I brought home scraps from work. Total investment is under $5. I screw the tin onto a board as well to lift it off the ground just a bit.
View attachment 325683
good idea Bushmans. have plenty of cookie tins in the cupboard. if the wifey will let me steal one.:rolleyes:
it's 10* here right now and waiting on the tractor to warm up to start snow removal.

I added another string yesterday due to cold temps. Use as many as u need to keep thawed. Trial and error.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

It was 12 below when I woke up now.....
uqa6e9e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

LOL - the forecast here for Monday is a high of 37 and a low of -1. Think a front might be coming through?

Just called the LP man for fill up after watching the weather and this thread. About 35% now but trying to be ahead of things. -8 here this morning but that is warm to most of you fellows.

After I posted about the chicken waterer heater thingamajig I went out and put the jug back on the little Christmas light heater. The temp dropped to negative 17 as you see in my above post and hovered around zero most of the day but made it up to 9 this afternoon. That dang waterer never froze up. The extra string of lights did the trick. I was just outside in the garage sharpening chains and went to check on them and the ducks are sitting in the snow and drinking the water. I can hear them bubbling around in it. They sure like to play in the water.
Of course the eggs were all frozen but that's what happens sometimes when I'm gone most of the day.
I did bring home a truck and trailer load of wood though. I brought my saw and bar oil in last night and kept the oil in the truck while cutting today. Officially the coldest temps I have ever cut wood in.

Minus. Around ten degrees today here in nw pa .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Well, nearing zero again here tonight after being at 2 degrees last night with 6" of snow on the ground. Supposed to get to -teens on Monday.

A low forecasted in the -20's on the mountaintops Monday night, with a high of zero degrees on Tuesday. That cold. Brrr...

Course we have another system to deal with that could bring some more snow before we get to that point.

But, tis winter, and I like the snow, so no worries... :)

Well, nearing zero again here tonight after being at 2 degrees last night with 6" of snow on the ground. Supposed to get to -teens on Monday.

A low forecasted in the -20's on the mountaintops Monday night, with a high of zero degrees on Tuesday. That cold. Brrr...

Course we have another system to deal with that could bring some more snow before we get to that point.

But, tis winter, and I like the snow, so no worries... :)

Sounds like you're in the good old Northeast, too. Just dipped below 0 here.

-10 here in northern Indiana this AM. there wasn't any wind yet but it is coming..... oh yea and the weatherman is predicting up to 12" Saturday night through Sunday. I threw 2 8' dump bed inserts of ash in the basement today in preparation. Snow, negative temperatures and what the heck... throw 30 mph wind on top of it all. The State of Indiana has a 2 hr delay for its workers on Monday Morning.???

It's so cold here, I am going to Spidey's Sunday and Monday just to warm up, yes for a beer also..

Back