cold weather is good for something

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What a weird fall weeks of weather hovering around 0°c (which was alright while it lasted) a foot of snow Tuesday Wednesday last week than dropped to -20°c and has gotten colder. Mother nature has her grasp on us once again....but on the bright side it makes good ice fast! And about time! Who else is getting out?

Attachments

• 20161211_135514.jpg
    20161211_135514.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20161211_130254.jpg
    20161211_130254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
High of -5* today, -12 now at 1800. Whatever that is in C. Cold to me outside all day.

We will see -9F overnight. The ice is already several inches thick here. I would go fishing tomorrow if I didn't have saws to run.

Cold weather is great for making my phone explode and people throwing tantrums on why I can't have wood to them in 20 mins when it's -15* out. I'm about 45 cords out on orders right now.

We had a guy throw a fit, he decided to show up a 8am to buy a bag of sawdust.

A... the shop opens at 10.
B.... we didn't have any sawdust (sold out)
C.... the ad says to call ahead... he called, no one answered. Somehow that was his "calling ahead".
D.... the skid steer that has the fork tines isn't going to start without putting a heater on it

He sure "showed us" doing a 1 tire fire in his truck on the icy road.

Valleyfirewood:
Just wondering, How much firewood do you sell in a year?

Thanks
David

Had to let the fire die out last nite. 56*, raining, House at 78* with only a few coals in the stove. When the weather is like this, its just easier to let the heat pump work than try to regulate the stove to keep the house livable.

Things getting interesting. Rain and temps falling, 48* at 4pm. Going to get down to 35 tonite. Decided to refire the stove. I hadnt put any wood in it since yesterday morning. While racking out the ashes, I found a few coals. Raked the coals to the front of stove and started pulling splinters from the wood pile for kindling to put on coals. To make a long story short, splinters fired up without any help, filled the stove with splits and house temps on the rise. Got to love whiteoak firewood, always seems to a few coals left to restart the fire.

I switched to plowing yesterday. Hovering around the 30* a mark most of the day. It did provide us with about 4-5" of snow and 14 hours of plowing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
finished the plow retro fit to the 1990 f150 wood hauler/plow wagon today . just in time for -20* and 6" of new snow on Thursday evening... back to the plowing grind!

Started out at -12 this morning was 16 when I got home at around 8. Heat wave!

I can work all day with 15*, it's plenty warm. -10* kind of sucks, hurts my lungs to breathe.

Latest posts

Back