Cold weather trimming.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question to some, but you have to realize I live in So. Calif. I have been working with a Company in the mountains and we have been trying pushing Their TCIA, and ISA accreditation to several home owners associations in the more affluent lake side areas.
Arborculture is twenty years behind the times up there and this is a pet project of mine that I hope will pay off several ways. These include both education, and us having that market tied up. I have done a few oaks for them already and I think were lock in.
My question is about trimming in freezing weather. It's good to do these trees while their dormant, but in the past I don't leave the house if its under 40 deg.(which has only happened a few times in my life.) Do the trees get brittle or freeze and break in really freezing temps. Is it ok to prune them during snowy conditions? Are there any hazards I should watch out for? May be some of you mid west or north eastern guys can offer me some advice and tips. Thank for any help. Winter is running late up there but but when it does it'll come with a vengence. Beastmaster

We trim all year up here in the great white north. Now that you ask though. I do believe trees do get more brittle in the cold.

I have always considered it the best time for trimming and know of no reason not to even under extreme low temps but there may be a reason I dont know of. Trees can get pretty slick for obv reasons. I have seen little patches of ice that were so clear that you could hardly see them. Be careful of that. And when wood is very cold (even frozen) it can act differently when you are cutting it. A hinge may not hold the way it would if it was warm. I guess brittle would describe it. But it has to be pretty darn cold for wood of any size to actually freeze and I am thinking it wont matter to much for what you guys are doing. But watch that ice.

I worked on a hydro contract all throught last winter, i found that the wood is more or less 'Brittle' your holding wood wont hold as long and tends to sort snap earlier than in the summer. Also like mentioned above watch for ice slipping while your climbing sucks. we try not to work to much in the winter tho, the snow makes it a pain to do a really good clean up, on the postive side there no bugs or dieases to worry about when prunning lol

Sound like other then the cold icy conditions it won't harm the trees. I was worried the cuts could get freezer bite or some thing. Were selling high quality, proper pruning, and on Oaks that means mostly deadwooding and small thinning cuts. Maybe a little shaping if I can do it by selectively removing a few small small branches here and there.
Realistically the snow and wind up there does a pretty good job of keeping trees looking nice. I just want to help nature, and keep the butchers and loggers at bay, and of course make money. There are beautiful cedars up there that with just a little bit of thinning and separation would look tight.
Once a neighbor sees another neighbor with their tree done, I am hoping they'll want theirs done to. I worked one winter up there doing bark beetle removals 15 years ago. I remember starting up a tree, removing layers of clothing as I warmed up, then being so cold when I finished covered in sweat i couldn't get warm again. That I don't look forward too. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We only prune oaks here between Nov and March which is usually sub-freezing (although not so this year).

It can be considerably more difficult to climb due to the possibility of ice, and the fact that your hands are freezing, but those are the only drawbacks IMO. That and its easier to spot the deadwood when there's leaves on the trees but you get used to the sound and lack of buds on deadwood lol, which I'm sure you're already familiar with. Good things about sub-freezing pruning for bucket operators is that some people have more access with bucket trucks due to frozen ground, and fewer leaves to rake lol and possibly being able to get the chipper closer for the same reason. It is harder to do a good cleanup in the winter because of snow, but several companies in this area offer 10% winter discount to make up for that, plus it does attract more winter business to keep your guys busy when most people aren't thinking about treework.

A little derail but if you are going to work in the cold dress for it. Don't wear cotton! Invest in decent thermals, hat, gloves and gortex gear. Being wet and cold sucks.

Under armor helps ALOT. keeps you much warmer in the winter with a fewer layers and you don't lose as much mobility as you would with carharts, etc. There's a reason the pro sports athletes wear it - it works.

That is another plus side to this also. Work is dead up there in winter unless a tree falls over, I think I'll put the winter discount thing to the powers that be. I really have my hopes up this will work out, theres talk of putting me on a nice salary for handling that aspect of the business.

We only prune oaks here between Nov and March which is usually sub-freezing (although not so this year).

It can be considerably more difficult to climb due to the possibility of ice, and the fact that your hands are freezing, but those are the only drawbacks IMO. That and its easier to spot the deadwood when there's leaves on the trees but you get used to the sound and lack of buds on deadwood lol, which I'm sure you're already familiar with. Good things about sub-freezing pruning for bucket operators is that some people have more access with bucket trucks due to frozen ground, and fewer leaves to rake lol and possibly being able to get the chipper closer for the same reason. It is harder to do a good cleanup in the winter because of snow, but several companies in this area offer 10% winter discount to make up for that, plus it does attract more winter business to keep your guys busy when most people aren't thinking about treework.

WORD!
Dunno bout u, but this warm weather is messing me up, have a bunch that I cant get to, as, by the noon, everything is slime.
We where just talking about the Under Armor VS Carhardts. Since you are in my area and do what I do and u like them, I am going to go ahead and get a set. SO TIRED OF THE BULK!
As for the trees, when it gets sub-artic for a few days, they get brittle, holding wood reacts differently and the branches have more weight from the ice and snow, so they react differently as well (deeper snap cuts)

I gaff my winter prunes, the trees are covered in ice, and I am real good, so I just puncture the ice, so I dont hurt the bark
Joking!
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I have noticed that I can't use my pole gaffs as well on Pines when they are frozen. Not sure if it is because they are frozen but I had to break out my tree gaffs on a few Pine removals I was doing last year because I kept gaffing out in the freezing conditions. Never had that problem in warmer temps. And as has been mentioned, holding wood will react slightly differently when frozen.

yea, I've found that one most days, even when we have the usual cold Iowa winters, a set of Under Armor, or even the cheap Mossy Oak stuff at Walmart paired with a double thick sweatshirt from Arborwear is about all you need if youre climbing and staying moving. I usually have a fleece neck gaiter and thicker gloves though. I found great climbing gloves at Shopper's, they are similar to the blue sticky gloves we love so much lol, but they are thicker and warmer for winter.

So far my new Redwings are keeping my feet warm and dry as well, but in years past I've used those pullover golashes in deeper snow and just kick them off once I'm up in the tree.

Yeah gotta get them, tired of the bulk, wears ya out, having all that extra weight. Not to mention getting in the way

Well, went and dumped 120 on a set, tried them out, NICE! UA Cold Gear + Long Jons + Jeans = 2 rats in a wool sock! Going to go to goodwill and look for some old vest and jeans, tried to break into the "good" jean drawer, wife said HELL NO!

Well, went and dumped 120 on a set, tried them out, NICE! UA Cold Gear + Long Jons + Jeans = 2 rats in a wool sock! Going to go to goodwill and look for some old vest and jeans, tried to break into the "good" jean drawer, wife said HELL NO!

Worked one entire Ottawa winter doing trimming.....other than dressing warmly, no biggie. Think the climber took more breaks as he was cold at times. We shut her down at -25C as the saws did not seem to run too well at low temps. I went out and bought an Carhardt arctic jacket and bibs and worse those on top of chain saw pants, and wore Sorel packs...I was never cold.

Similar outdoors here in the oil patch.

Last edited:

Hey Scott, I just got one of those cheap wrangler vests from wally world. I think I paid $20 bucks for it. The zipper got destroyed the first couple of months I climbed in it. My best friend here does upholstery for a living and has his own upholstery shop. He put one of those heavy duty zippers that they use for Bimini boat tops in it for me and no more problems after that. It is surprisingly warm and rugged for a cheap vest. And as I have mentioned before, it is better for climbing than a coat as it gives you better range of motion with your arms.

I have noticed that I can't use my pole gaffs as well on Pines when they are frozen. Not sure if it is because they are frozen but I had to break out my tree gaffs on a few Pine removals I was doing last year because I kept gaffing out in the freezing conditions. Never had that problem in warmer temps. And as has been mentioned, holding wood will react slightly differently when frozen.

Yea, I hate using spikes when everythings frozen as well, they slip more often in some trees. I removed an ash on one of the colder days we just had and slipped a couple feet more than once. Hate that but they always catch.

Latest posts

Back