Collateral Damage; Owner Upset

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you glue it she'll tell all her friends you broke her lamp and then tried to glue it together.

If you offer to pay/replace it, she'll tell all her freinds how you had a little accident but how good you were to replace it...

Offer to pay/replace the lamp, make the client a raving fan...

This is great, I love it, Guy gives all this wonderful free advise on trees, leads by example of what a true professional arborist is all about. Fumbles the ball one time ( that we know of ) and now his thread is up for nomination in a national magizine. Way to go Treeseer, Only in America could this happen. :rolleyes: Do we have a shake your head and grin and laugh icon??

Larry

Ekka said:
Hey Treeseer What are you doing with a blue heeler?
Found him on the Blue Ridge Parkway 7 years ago; a loyal crew member since. VP in charge of customer relations, and wears many other hats. He'll drag brush, but I never know where to.
Named him Blue before I knew what breed he was.

Yes good point on the downside of fixing and leaving and not losing the rep of a breaker instead of a replacer. By buying it I would also lose the rep of giving my wife cheap anniversary gifts. :rolleyes:

Got some "Gorilla Glue" and will work with it Sunday. All in all very lame of me not to check area first(but still groundie' bailiwick); but a very minor screwup in my long career/comedy of errors..

if she has claimed on the insurance re the tree report
can she not say that prior to works commenced a branch dropped and did the damage white lie

failing that its your's pay the lady

treeseer said:
Found him on the Blue Ridge Parkway 7 years ago; a loyal crew member since. VP in charge of customer relations, and wears many other hats. He'll drag brush, but I never know where to.
Named him Blue before I knew what breed he was.

I'll back up the charicter referance, he's a cool pup.

treeseer said:
All in all very lame of me not to check area first(but still groundie' bailiwick); ..

But it's the crew leaders job to check the grounders work ;)

Just a thought here...Now that things have cooled down a bit, has the customer come back with anything that what they would like you to do to rectify the situation?

First and foremost, the tree company must resolve this to everyone's satisfaction. And, it may be necessary to resolve it with the scales tipped towards the customer and not necessarily fair for the tree co.

First rules of customer complaints are to acknowledge their complaint, understand that the have a right to feel upset, and then ask them what would be a fair solution. Sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised that all they wanted was for someone to validate thier feelings.

I also can't help but think about the groundie. I too hire my 15 year old son. Works his butt off and he knows that he is responsible for his actions. if for no other reason, things that he may do and things that he might not do, have a direct impact on the health and safety of me, my climber and the property of the land owner.

That said, if we are free dropping stuff, it is as much the climber's responsibility to know what is in the hole.

Now, ultimately it is my responsibility to ensure the customer's property is left in as good, or better, shape than my crew found it in. that is why I carry insurance.

Of course everyone makes mistakes, or misjudgments or has a moment of inattention. At some point, any of us may miss or choose to not move something from the hole. Often times we get lucky. If my people make this mistake, we call it a learning experience...the first time. The second time we call it an opportunity for discipline. The third time....there is no third time because after the second time they either learn the lesson or they are gone.

It is amazing how much people can remembeber when procedures become habits.

We have a zero tolerance for errors in the Always and never categories. there are some procedural items we must ALWAYS do when we enter the hole. There are signals and steps that must ALWASY be done when we raise and lower the dump bed, or start a saw in the tree, or fire up the chipper.

First time someone messes up with one of these it may be their, or an innocent's last...so we don't allow for mistakes on this stuff. Mess up here and you are done.

So, why bring up the different scenarios? Is a concrete lantern worth busting on your workers and taking it out of thier pay or daily enjoyment of life?

Probably not this time. But it is a good opportunity to teach about the larger consequences if it had been another person or pet in the way.

If it happens again, then maybe its time to reinforce the lesson with more consequenses. Funny thing, is that it will probably be very predictable whether you, me or any of our team will head towards the same mistake again.

For now, it is our responsibility to recognize when those signals are coming in and heading the disaster off at the pass by double checking.

I figure, if sky-divers, fire-fighters and marine-divers all double check each other before "going in" why cant we?

More importantly...as owners, aren't we obligated to?

Latest posts

Back