Collectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Mange:

I don't have that many saws, but maby someday. I like to get the saws and do what it takes to get them running. Then coompletely clean, prime and paint them to have them looking good. Guess you could say I'd be in seventh heaven at your place. Went to Larry Blair's home in Brockville, Ont. and saw his collection of about 130 saws and was impressed. Don't know what I'd do if I saw Mike Acres collection. You can post as many pic.as you want as far as I'm concerned. As far as the moderators don't mind. You take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I'm sthil waiting on the sprocket. But, it's coming!:blob2:

Glad to hear you found a sprocket. Where did you find it ? I have been racking my brain here trying to figure out how to make a standard rim drive system work on the saw. I am in the same boat you are looking for a sprocket. I have a 090G sitting here wanting to run .404 instead of the limited supply of 1/2" I have.

Bill

Collectors:

Got the muffler for my PM Rocket tday in the mail. The saw is now complete, running, primed and paited. Tooks some pictures today and will post when film is developed. Take care. Lewis.

My favorite saw is my Jonsereds 49SP, I will never part with it. This saw being my favorite has nothing to do with the saw but the dear friend who gave it to me. I met Norm Lancaster (no relation to Burt, he was quick to point out) at the town stump dump. He was gnawing through a 4" ash stem with a bowsaw ( he HAD a chainsaw but it wouldn't run) . There were some much bigger stems already down but the resultant rounds would have been too much for his 80 plus years to manage. I got out my 026 and commenced to cutting and loading a truck-full of firewood for him. A friendship grew from that first encounter. I fixed his Jonsereds 49SP for him a few times over the next year or two and he finally siezed it. He went out to get a Stihl like I had and came back with an 029 (DOH!). I looked all over h@lls half acre for a piston and jug for the Jonsereds and when I finally found it and got the saw ready for Norm he had become comfortable with the 029, he gave me the 49SP. Norm was a tough old s.o.b. who drove to New Hampshire when he was 81 to pick up his soapstone stove to save the shipping and give him an excuse to have an adventure. He went into trianing so he could have the strength to feed the stove. He got pretty good at filling his truck without my help Norm has since passed, father time finally caught up with him. My 49SP reminds me of what a tough old bird he was.

To Sedanman:

Like you and your favorite saw. The old Disston reminds me of the fellow who gave it to me. He was like a third grandfather. He also has sence passed away, but the saw reminds me of hem. When he gave me the saw, he couldn't find or get parts for it. I sort of made him a promise that when I got the time I'd try to get the saw going. He bought it used in 1951 and ran it untill 1962. He gave it to me in 1978. It was all apart, but all there. I had it stored untill June 2003, when I doug it out of storage and began the task of gettng it to run. Finally got the parts I needed and on the 24th of Sept. 2003, I had her running for the first time since 1962. Then in Apr. 2004, I took her out of storage and she would run but rich. I finally had to meke new fuel meter diaghragms for her. She has ran fine ever since. Sort of feel that I have full filled my promise to the old fellow and not only got the saw running, but continuing to keep her running. There wa a new drive sprocket with the saw. If I had some new .063 gauge, 9/16" pitcn chain with I think 72 drive links for the old 30" bar I'd probably try to see just what she would do. As it is the chain is adjusted pretty loose, for it will tighten up going around the old bar. Some of the links are stretched worse that others, I think from chain repairs over the years. Any way she runs and I hope the old fellow is smilling. Take care. Lewis.

I got a saw from a farmer not so far from here, Stihl 08.
It is one off the older ones. He arsked me if I wanted to by it, so I went down there adn lookd at it. We taked about the price for a bit, then he told me it was the first saw on the farm and his father and grandfather had used it, he had never see or heard it, and If I could make It run, I could have it. I asked him to come and see the saw run, and he came, When I take the saw out and tells him to start it, he looks at me like I was some kind of fool, and after he ran it for a minut or two he stoped an looked at it, like to check if it was the same saw, All the time he had a big smile, he said thanks, thou I`m not sure what he thanked for, since he gave the saw to me.

Mange

I would say he thanked you for bringing back fond memories from the past. Those usualy put smiles on most peoples faces...

Your right Tony, That is my first and biggest interest.
However there is still a demand for service here, not a big demand, but still.
Those who want a little more has asked me to start up, and we will see how it goes.

You did not anser my question.

Mange

Here is no Dealer for Solo, Efco, or Dolmar, yet.
The J-reds I have seen, but the others I know nothing about.
2154 is a fun saw, tested one when they where new.
Not many bad words about it around here.

Mange

"you being from Sweden and then bringing up French somewhere along the line made me curious?"
French is hard to understand. Where did you see this?

I am not a linguist, if that is what you ask. SWE, Eng I can speak, and Dansk, Norsk, Lituan, Poland, German I seem somehow to understand a little of.

Mange

Latest posts

Back