columnar maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robramm

Reaction score
The city planted a columnar maple on my property about 8 years ago. Its a nice tree but the top branches have sections where they have no leaves to the tip (about 3 ft at the top.)

I don't know what is going on with this tree. It is already 25 ft tall. I liked it until this year it started bearing fruit. There are little keys dropping everywhere on my interlocking brick driveway and trees sprouting up everywhere.

I am thinking of cutting it down and replacing it with another species. I do like this tree, except for the fruit. Is there another tree in the same family that will not do this?

Has the top part always been dead?

Don't know how to force a maple to cease its sinister seeding activity. Maybe just use a blower more often during the (short) time they are falling?

You'll see more educated in our guesses if you post a picture.

Mike Maas said:
If the city planted it they might own it. Ask before you cut it.
If Thee ask, they will deny. It would just magically disappear with a more pleasing tree being planted in its place. I'll see if I can post a pic. I just know that my grandfather had one and in his later years he was cussing it for creating so much work. I was hoping to opt out early to avoid frustration in the future.

robramm said:
my grandfather had one and in his later years he was cussing it for creating so much work.
Many old folk complain about the work, but they still enjoy the shade etc, even if they don't admit it. No tree is zero mtc.

Latest posts

Back