come along system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do they make some type of come along system or can some one recommend me on how to do the following task.. I am wanting to drag or pull a log that weighs about 800 lbs to 1200 lbs from where its laying at across a creek bed with both ends being up on dry land.. but the stump I would be tying off to for my anchor point is 30 feet from end of log I want to pull up on to solid land instead of hanging across my creek.. I have cut everything I can except for about 3ft from both ends of this tree. the creek is dry but about 2ft deep so Im not worried what will happen when the other end falls off into the creek bed for its not a long fall probablly will just slide down the hill into the creek bed then pull right up on to solid land with no prob.. I just need some kind of system that will allow me to do this with a lenght of 30ft to keep in mind from my anchor point and my log I want to move so I can cut it rest way up for fire wood.. thanks...

Check out some sponsors for a rope come-a-long. Or maybe a mechanical advantage system of some sort. If you could post a pic it would really help you get a better answer though.

heres a pic of the stump I plan on notching out a v on back side of so that cable wont roll off of the stump.
<br>
IMG_0176_1.jpg

<br>
directly in front is the smaller of the two logs I want to pull closer to the solid ground in between it and the stump.Its the one across the small creek bed going up the hill not the little 4 ft long piece..lol..
<br>
IMG_0177_1.jpg

<br>
and off to the left is a bigger log were two large trees grew together but im gonna seperate them to reduce the weight on the cable or chain or what ever I may use that can support the weight. Its the two smaller ones laying across creek bed and not that big chunk you see.. thats where a total of three trees grew together that I cut off to get it from rocking back and forth.. wanted it on solid ground so it wouldnt roll on me when cutting on it..

<br>
IMG_0178_1.jpg

<br><br>

but the closest one is 25 ft from stump and farthest is 30 ft from stump to edge.. so I figure a 50ft towing system of some sort so I can have some slack to play with and not have enough to get the job done..and I guess I would use some kinda of length of chain with a hook on one end to go around the logs and then latch the hook onto the links to hold onto the log it self and maybe same setup for attaching the come-along to the stump... but like I mentioned before any ideas are welcome.. and bobcat is out of question... my bobcat guy wont drive down there until its been hot and no rain for at least three weeks he said.. I drove my truck with 1500 lbs of tools in my tool box in the bed and backed it up 20 feet through my front yard to my porch where I can unload it with no step from tailgate height to my porch, but it gets very little sun and I did this two days after a torential down poor we had where I live that lasted about 2 hrs and left no ruts what so ever.. I have hard clay ground here...so I think he can get back there but he says no but Im not gonna argue with the man...so Im thinking of other ways now.. plus I got other uses for a come-along system that way I can do away with scheduling a bobcat for usage.. thanks guys..

rent a gas powered winch, I bought one a few years back from northern hydraulics......dam thing fell apart on me, I sent it back twice & finally said forget it...refund my $$$

They work good, as long as its a quality tool, the one mentioned above wasnt!!

Good luck!

LXT................

rent a gas powered winch, I bought one a few years back from northern hydraulics......dam thing fell apart on me, I sent it back twice & finally said forget it...refund my $$$

They work good, as long as its a quality tool, the one mentioned above wasnt!!

Good luck!

LXT................

I think Im gonna check the local tool rental shop tommorow and see if they have an electrical or gas powered winch.. what do you recommend me using to attach to the log about 36" dia so that I can hook the winch hook to and also how do u recommend me mounting it to that stump I have pictured above.. im hoping its has a mounting hook that I can throw a chain around the stump and then hook to the chain but dont know if they even have on yet or not.. but buying one definatly out of question...no job right now.. worked 12 days 15 hrs a day on some hot jobs got them delievered on time then got let go but made enough money to live on for next two months in all the OT I got in on those 12 days..lol...

Don't know if you can do this but it's something to think about.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=135880&highlight=redneck+style

dont have any large trees near by to set up a yarder like system like what they have nor do I have a tractor and two extra trucks that are 3/4 or 1 ton 4 wheel drives to attach to the tractor let alone all that rope and chain...lol.. just trying to go cheapest and easiest way possible here..but thanks for the link..

You do not need a long pull winch. 8 to 10 feet of pull is ok. Tie your winch off to the stump. Run out the winch leaving a few wraps on the drum. Then from the end of the winch cable run a chain, strap or what ever. Winch it up as far as you can stop run the winch back out and shorten the chain repete as necessary.

Billy

You do not need a long pull winch. 8 to 10 feet of pull is ok. Tie your winch off to the stump. Run out the winch leaving a few wraps on the drum. Then from the end of the winch cable run a chain, strap or what ever. Winch it up as far as you can stop run the winch back out and shorten the chain repete as necessary.

Billy

yeah I thought about doing that too.. but got a call from my bobcat guy today and he said as long is it doesnt rain more than a inch of rain between now and tommorow he will be here tommorow afternoon and have them pulled out for me... so no rain , no rain, no rain....lolol...

Latest posts

Back