Commercial Tree Forums should be the ONLY Forums

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Service vs. Tree Buisness

i think growth in tree understanding, wonder and respect has been held back enough. i believe that fewer, not more trees would receive proper care with this pro-posal.

"We do not inherit the Land and Trees from our parents;
but rather, borrow them from our children, and their's"

What about the young or new tree care people who come to arbo discussion forums to mooch information from the more experienced people? Should they be turned away and told that they have to go to school or read all of the books before they can ask a question?

I can understand why you would take the Q&A off your personal forum. That makes perfect sense to me.

I've given, what I think, is good tree advice on some of the varied forums where I lurk. Should I stop? I've also gone to the library, big-box store and the Internet to find out how to do some particular thing. By self educating I can find what limits I should place on myself. It also has taught me to do some pretty advanced projects that have turned out really well. Without the self-education I probably wouldn't have taken on the projects anyway.

vaden, you $grubber. share the wealth (of info). go out and DO something if you want to get paid. you sound like a lawer...

mousetrap

Woodie003, I hate to say this but if you build a better mousetrap odds are you don't sit at home waiting for the public, you recieve royalty checks. My family's had many patents and the public didn't beat a path to the door but the mailman has always made it. The best thing to come out of www is that folks from around the world get to put their ideas out for peer reveiw from around the world. Look at how many of the guys here have tried something other than a Taughtline or Blakes to climb. Some of them have gotten away from hemp and manila ropes. I can say the saw builders have modified a lot more saws than they used to because AS is here and people come. These are things that would have taken years for folks to find out about but it's here and it's now the way a lot of people learn new things. I think your problem is you don't know when to tell them they need to hire you. Cut them off at 10 miniutes instead of 3 hours. Tell them it's time to bring in the Pro for a fee. Put a time limit on what you do over the net. Don't shut them out completely, do put a limit on your time. Budget your time.

I think Caryr puts a good spin on it and I think MdVaden is temporarily burned out by some of the thankless. It sure does make a difference how much self help the question asker is willing to do. Giving advice where it is obviously time wasted, gets old awfully quick.

Cary,

That's like my treatment of hitch-hikers.  If they're walking like they're going somewhere and stick their thumb out as I approach them, they've got a ride.  If they're sitting there with their thumb in the air, forget it.

Glen

You get a ride as far as I'm going; maybe further if you're an attractive woman.

I really liked the thread about the guy that had his shop broken into and his saws and tools stolen.The real people on this site offered him there saws and what ever he needed to get going again.Not for money but to help somebody out in time of need.I don't know of anybody that hasn't gotten some help from somebody else.

Jason D Ladue

vaden, you $grubber. share the wealth (of info). go out and DO something if you want to get paid. you sound like a lawer...

You sound like someone that would put "beer drinking" in their profile...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

what ever...i bet i have a better sense for beer And tree work than you. lets hook up. maybe i can show you how to arrange your priorities, and you could maybe show me how to charge someone w/out having to actually do anything ;)

I've been guilty of mooching info off of professionals. I can recall years ago having a plumber come in to look at a problem with the sink. I cringe to think of how I kept that poor bastard for over an hour, walking me through my thinly veiled "Do-It-Yourself" type questions. He was calm, informative and friendly. Why? Well >>> a.) He was being paid for the consult. A minimum, to be sure. But paid all the same. b.) I'm sure he smirked to visualise the process of my fumbling, borrowing / buying tools & parts, not to mention an end result that would lift the eyebrow of a retard. c.) He must have known that if I didn't call him back in 2 days with a flooded kitchen, my "Can-Do" attempts would eventually land him (or another company) a phone call leading to $$$
It's funny, isn't it? I have such a different appreciation for the whole process. Like now, if somebody's at my house for work I offer them refreshments, bathroom access, don't moan about $, etc. It just didn't occur to me before ? Live-n-learn.

M.D. Vaden said:
Master blaster...

You tellin us there is something wrong with beer drinking?

;) ;) ;)
mario, you are the one trying to say there's something wrong w/ beer drinking...remember your critique of my profile?

M.D. Vaden said:
I have a second site separate from site below.
My, my, but you have one BEAUTIFUL set of photos!!! :angel:
Thanks much for that. (And I envy your organizational skill.)

That way people can get better quality and also the arborists will get paid for their investment in books, training, certifications, etc..

... That means they can get some general tips, but not specific advice on individual trees in unknown environments where the homeowner can't convey the 30 factors they don't know to look for.
Or, you could set forth those 30 factors in some way of explaining the value of
having a consulting arborist assess individual situations--so that they WILL know.
(And they might know that the guy they just paid $$$ must've been not all that he
promoted himself to be, since he didn't think squat about any of those factors!)

I recall seeing a doc about an injury (torn ACL), getting an opinion. He's the doc,
he should know. But I got a 2nd, then 3rd, opinion. Funny, they were all docs,
but they had diff. opinions. Then I had to, what's the word, "mooch" around on the
Net for advice from those who'd had similar injuries. And now my eyes are wider
open (and I'm living w/torn ACL pretty okay--doesn't affect cycling, e.g.).

*knuedNoggin*

Free info for the do it yourselfers

Homeowner: How do I go about trimming that lead away from my house?
Treeguy: Well, first you go buy about a thousand dollars worth of equipment, just to get it down, if you need a chipper, and truck that will be alot more, than, after you figure out how to put yer saddle on rightside up, climb yer fat a$$ way the hell up there and try to remember that knot you read about online the other day. Yer also gonna need a guy on the ground that isn't gonna kill you, or smash the house. Then climb back down and walk out on the branches, and try to remember that other knot you saw the other day. Cut the branch, retie,cut retie, etc.
Homeowner: er... uhh... hmmmm... O.K., you do it. :rolleyes:

Back