common chain for stihl 193T and 201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrell wade

Reaction score
can i use a common chain for my stihl 193T and 201T chainsaws? if so please advise what parts i need to get to do so.

A common chain? I do not know what that is. If you mean 3/8 standard chain, the answer is no. Those saws run Picco, or 3/8 low profile bars and chains. You do not want to use anything larger than that on those saws. I use the new Stihl Picco PM chain that is non-safety and full chisel on my small saw. It works really well. As an alternative, I use Woodland Pro low profile, which is re-branded Carlton chain. There are a variety of profiles that you can get that in (full chisel and semi chisel, depending on what you are cutting).

What he said. If by common, you mean the same chain and bar combo for both, then yes you can. You may already. Just don't expect the 193 to keep up with your 201. If I were to pair up a smaller saw with my 200t, I'd probably go to 12" bars on both.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

You only want to stay with low pro non safety chain. Cuts good, light. Lil stills do t have the torque to pull a fat Chain. Is it a cost issue?

Our MS192 came with PMM3 chain. Found it jumping off the bar and loosen teeth, so replaced with Sugihara 12" bar and Oregon 91VXL-44 semi chisel chain.

A much more robust combo as the result, but unfortunately the tiny 30 cc engine of the MS192 wasn't up to handling this heavier combo.

Considered therefore a muffler mod of the MS192, but sold it instead. Our new MS201 hence inherited the Sugihara/Oregon combo.

you mean the same chain and bar combo for both, then yes you can.
1ce2.jpg

yes, the same chain and bar for both, i realize the 193 doesn't have the power as the 201 but for the work i do, i am not pushing them to the limit. just wanted to know the specific stihl chain and 14inch bar to buy? That way i don't have to have two types of chains laying around that will only work for each saw. tks

"I see." said the blind man to his deaf son.

The 14 inch 0.050, 3/8 Picco/low profile bar from Stihl that is a small mount and will fit both saws is PN: 3005 000 7409. The loops to get with those size bars are 50 drive links in length. Stihl sells PM3 and RM/RM3 Picco chain in that size and type, PM3 is semi-chisel safety, and RM is full chisel non-safety. There is also RM3 which is full chisel safety. Stihl changes chain names around though, so these may not be up to date and may or may not all be available from your Stihl dealer. My dealer only sells RM non-safety full chisel in Picco, and I love that stuff. But it is not cheap.

There are other options for B&C. Our friends at Left Coast Supply have been selling these size GB bars for really cheap lately. They are a sponsor here, and you can click on the ad above to get to their web site. Right now you can get a 14" A074 mount GB Arbor Tech bar and Oregon 91VXL chain – 3/8″LP .050″ – 50 drivelinks in a whopping deal for only $18. The bars alone are $9. You are not going to beat that. They are good people down there in Willits.

yes, the same chain and bar for both, i realize the 193 doesn't have the power as the 201 but for the work i do, i am not pushing them to the limit. just wanted to know the specific stihl chain and 14inch bar to buy? That way i don't have to have two types of chains laying around that will only work for each saw. tks

See my reply above...

Back