Stihl MS 193T oiler issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w8att

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had a MS 193T that when I start & especially when warming it up for a minute or so, it leaks a lot of chain oil where it sets. Can someone explain the chain oiling system in general so I can fix this issue please? I have had another Stihl saw do the same & would like to address this problem. I’ve cleaned bar channel & oil holes & area on saw-head where bar oil comes out to bar & still have the problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Often when first started during warmup engine rpm is raised high enough to engage the clutch. The oil pump is driven off the clutch drum when it spins, once the rpms peter down the clutch stops engaging the drum. If your rpms are staying elevated you may have a lean condition that is keeping the rpm elevated to the point of clutch engagement, weak clutch springs, carb needs a rebuild etc

Often when first started during warmup engine rpm is raised high enough to engage the clutch. The oil pump is driven off the clutch drum when it spins, once the rpms peter down the clutch stops engaging the drum. If your rpms are staying elevated you may have a lean condition that is keeping the rpm elevated to the point of clutch engagement, weak clutch springs, carb needs a rebuild etc
Thank you for the suggestion! I run my machines a tad rich & it idles fine with no chain creep at idle. I do rev it a bit after starting to clean out as the engine runs rich from choking after start. I’ll keep my eye on the saw after warmed up to see if it’s still over oiling.

Thank you for the suggestion! I run my machines a tad rich & it idles fine with no chain creep at idle. I do rev it a bit after starting to clean out as the engine runs rich from choking after start. I’ll keep my eye on the saw after warmed up to see if it’s still over oiling.
Didn’t say that it’s a new carb but issue was with old carb too.

Didn’t say that it’s a new carb but issue was with old carb too.
The carb/idle have nothing to do with the oil system. Start with an Empty tank. Pour super tack oil into tank. Do not fill completely,

Tank has duck bill 1-way vent. No engine running, = no oil pumped. If you are referring to oil constantly weeping, until the tank is empty, the vent is BAD, or the cap seal is bad. OIL cannot leave the tank, dribble, and show up as a preceived leak........unless its being pumped......

Anytime the saw is revved it pumps oil. Any oil pumped when not cutting will present as a leak. And yes ALL saws do this. Check the obvious as mentioned above. If the pump stops in a certain position the oil can go straight through. Some leak is normal. Get concerned when it becomes a big puddle.
The 024/26 series of Stihl saws and those with diaphragm pumps operate at idle.

Appreciate all the input about oiling system parts. I usually have parts diagrams for all my saws but I don’t for my 193 so this helps knowing these parts!

Latest posts

Back