Community Firewood program

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytehoven

Pixel Wrangler
Reaction score
Has anyone on AS ever participated in origanizing a free firewood program in their community?

Because of a new yard waste ban in our community, we as civic leaders are looking to find ways to help reduce wood waste going to our landfills, as well as help homeowners who heat their homes with wood.

Our County provides falled wood permits to anyone who would like to take fallen timber from our County parks. Via our connection with County Special Services, we could go a step further and have standing dead trees fallen, so we could take it from there.

It is the local civic association that would organize the collection of wood from neighbors removing trees as well as harvesting dead wood from the parks.

I am interested in any input from folks who have done something similar, to help identify any pitfalls we might overlook.

Last edited:
I am employed by a CO.Park dept.The wood permit would be a great idea.But some things to consider,what if someone gets hurt on CO. property.If you cut your leg off in your own front yard it's your fault.Thanks to lawyers if you cut your leg off on county property it's the countys fault and waivers seem to mean nothing anymore.Then there is damage to the park-trails etc.People have to get to the wood that means trucks,atvs on trails and in the woods.Some of our visitors like that we try to keep our trail systems looking natural.These are just a few things to think about.Believe me if permits were being handed out i'd be in line for one.But from the parks side of it you could end up with more of a mess then it's worth.
Just my 2 cents

Has anyone on AS ever participated in origanizing a free firewood program in their community?

Because of a new yard waste ban in our community, we as civic leaders are looking to find ways to help reduce wood waste going to our landfills, as well as help homeowners who heat their homes with wood.

Our County provides falled wood permits to anyone who would like to take fallen timber from our County parks. Via our connection with County Special Services, we could go a step further and have standing dead trees fallen, so we could take it from there.

It is the local civic association that would organize the collection of wood from neighbors removing trees as well as harvesting dead wood from the parks.

I am interested in any input from folks who have done something similar, to help identify any pitfalls we might overlook.

I know that in my neck of the woods, Lansing, MI has a program that allows you to cut on certain parcels of city property with a permit and after signing a waiver.

As for collecting neighborhood trees that are trimmed or removed, we don't have an organized program BUT we do have a pretty good system going through the local Freecycle group. (the parent site is freecycle.org, which links to local groups) The only problem that comes up with the freecycle group is that lots of times the homeowner has no way to cut the wood up, or in some cases wants the tree taken down for free in exchange for the resulting wood. But despite its flaws, it is a pretty good way to get rid of wood that you don't want and a decent source of wood that you do.

Still, a more centrally-organized program might be worthwhile, too.

Several yrs back, our city let people dump wood into a pile at the landfill. Not many people came to get it. The pile had large pieces in it, junk, and got pushed around a lot by the dozer op so it also got covered in mud.

In time, the plan was abolished.

Sure it starts out as downed wood only, then dead standing trees, then some moron thinks a tree is dead and cuts down your live ones.

Best of luck

Like okietreedude1 said I know a few towns near me this this type of program where logs are kept in a pile and if you want them you come and get them (no cutting on town property) so there is little risk of law suits.

I know the US forest service and many state forrest service offer permits to cut on park land

The other option is a fuel bank they have been around for a while mostly for heating oil but a few do wood, where people(low income, elderly, single mothers, disabled, etc) get put on a list and people bring them their extra firewood, hold split-a-thons there people come and volunteer to split logs, cut up downed trees, etc.

Here, a pretty large city, Rochester, NY.... the city has a "giveback" program. It is basically a parking lot where the city piles mulch, wood chips, and firewood. The firewood comes from their forestry dept. They cut 200-250 trees a year and put the logs at the site for the taking. You must cut your own and load... no large commercial equipment allowed. I have gotten my wood there for the last 2 years and its a pretty popular site.
There is a second location, in the Town of Greece (a Rochester suburb) that does the same thing.....
I wish there were more!!

Thanks everyone.

Our current permit is $30 for 30 days in 3 parks, and you name the parks in advance. :) Not a bad deal if you plan to put in the effort within the 30 days. Speaking with one of my County Services friends today, he thought he could even have their forestry crew plan to down the dead trees, and let me know when to schedule the 30 day permit. Sweet. :)

I think I am going to suggest a more organized approach to our County and elected folks, like Sparky_NY and others have mentioned. I think other States are farther down the road on this issue, because they have had yard waste restrictions in place longer. If the County and State are asked to reduce their contribution of wood waste to landfill areas, there will have to find an alternative, and the community log pile is a great idea.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back