comparing MS260 to 2145 J'red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been playing with the new toy, 260 pro. I love it, easy to handle, runs well. The drilled out muffler helped pump it up a bit. Today I finally got a .325 chain on it hoping to get it up to the equiv of what the J'red was doing for me.

Nope. Not even close. Not sure why.

Both saws are now running .325 full comp chain, 18" bar.
Johnny is atleast 25% faster, in spite of being 5cc smaller.

I think I am going to drop in at my local saw shop with a LOG in the truck and do a comparison between the two saws. I am curious why the cheaper and smaller saw is out cutting a larger and more expensive saw.

Any ideas from the experts?? :bowdown:
-Pat

Patrick62 said:
I have been playing with the new toy, 260 pro. I love it, easy to handle, runs well. The drilled out muffler helped pump it up a bit. Today I finally got a .325 chain on it hoping to get it up to the equiv of what the J'red was doing for me.

Nope. Not even close. Not sure why.

Both saws are now running .325 full comp chain, 18" bar.
Johnny is atleast 25% faster, in spite of being 5cc smaller.

I think I am going to drop in at my local saw shop with a LOG in the truck and do a comparison between the two saws. I am curious why the cheaper and smaller saw is out cutting a larger and more expensive saw.

Any ideas from the experts?? :bowdown:
-Pat

You say the 260pro is your "new toy", how old is the J'red???

Patrick62 said:
Johnny was NEW last fall. I have run atleast 20 tanks thru it.
The Stihl is probably not quite broke in yet, but last weekend it was picking up some RPM.

-Pat
Welp in case ya didn't know according to Stihl it takes not a few tank fulls to break in a Stihl engine but at least 5 gallons of running. Stihl uses two ring pistons and they're engines are tight. After 5 gallons of fuel its loosened up and at full rpm and power. May see that 25% faster disappear after that....

Yeah Thall, but. I think what he is getting at is it should be quicker out of the box....I would expect the same between those two saws.....

-Steve

Thats right. Two ring pistons are much tighter. My MS270 has two rings-50cm3 and DBC4510 single ring-45cm3. First is much more tight and jerky to pull even now, after ca 220 tanks of fuel. Brushcutter has few tanks of fuel behind and is very easy to pull.

Freakingstang said:
Yeah Thall, but. I think what he is getting at is it should be quicker out of the box....I would expect the same between those two saws.....

-Steve

True, I see whatcha mean but a brand new saw will run better after its broken in. The J'red might well be a faster saw but can't really say till both are broke in. I have a older 026 and it picked up quite abit of power after running 5-10 gallons, not tanks, of fuel through it. If the J'red turns out to be a faster saw so be it.

I hear ya Thall. My Little Dolmar 5100 keeps getting more power out of it! It only has about 1 1/2 gallons through it. I swear it gets faster everytime I cut with it. lol. This is my first "new" saw, so the whole getting faster as it breaks in, is new to me.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
I hear ya Thall. My Little Dolmar 5100 keeps getting more power out of it! It only has about 1 1/2 gallons through it. I swear it gets faster everytime I cut with it. lol. This is my first "new" saw, so the whole getting faster as it breaks in, is new to me.

-Steve

Awwwwwwwww you sucker you knew what I meant all along,lol. Saws do speed up as they loosen up. I've heard some good stuff about the 5100, a real speed demon.....................

Patrick62 said:
... Both saws are now running .325 full comp chain, 18" bar.
Johnny is atleast 25% faster, in spite of being 5cc smaller. ...
Which model of chain?

If the 2145 has a 95VP (or Jred S30 - same chain), and the MS260 a RM (or worse, RM2), that would give the Jonsered an advantage in the comparison.......

Latest posts

Back