Compression only 40lbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Well this thread gave me a chuckle at O'dark thirty in the AM.I can't say as I've every heard of a 2 cycle comp tester but then ,I haven't heard of everything,you know.I have never taken a comp test on a 2 cycle engine but on 4 cycles,it takes several compression cycles to get an accurate reading.Mensa,hmm,never heard of that one either,but I have heard of good barbequed ribs. :blob2:

Just a volume thing. You're trying to measure the "squish" that goes on it the cylinder, and the more volume you add (big hose) the longer (more puls) it will take to get the reading up to actual.

Clear as mud? sorry!

As for "Mensa", probably a good percentage of those on the board would qualify. It take a certain type of mentality to be enough of a computer geek and chainsaw freak to want to be here! :rolleyes:

Now we're getting somewhere! (not)

Hilarious thread. It warms my innards to see that no one else reads the instructions on the doodads they buy.

I'm a member of Mintsaw with a documented iq of 78, and I can prove it. I also have, sharp, pointy toes that work quite well for propelling boots into certain orifices. Therefore, my theory is right. :p :blob2:

smokin_stroker0 said:
If you look at the Mac tool site you will see the short hose in the kit do you think that is just for tight spots?

I would use the short hose all the time, even on four strokes, and only use the longer hose where the hole was remote enough that the short hose wouldn't allow the gauge to be read easily.

rupedoggy said:
Hey Paul you have alluded to that Mensa stuff before. Could you show us a copy of your membership card? I have trouble with this because:
1. Mensa member usually don't brag on their IQ.
2. Very few Mensa members are auto mechanics.
3. They seldom spend much time on chain saw forums.
4. They may be good rib cooks. I don't know about that one.
5. They generally have very high grammar and spelling abilities and you have not shown that in your posts.

Hi Mike,

I`m going to disagree with your assumptions based on first hand exposure to many Mensans, in fact, too many Mensans brag about their IQ. The rest of the intelligent people don`t often say much regarding thier IQ, they more commonly and more simply display their intelligence through their actions.

I don`t have any idea how many Mensans are auto mechanics but why wouldn`t any intelligent person be prone to following a personal passion as a vocation? You have to admit that there are alot of shadetree mechanics because people like working on machines even without compensation. The new breed of auto mechanic is also often well educated and fairly compensated.

Mensans(and Mensa candidates) could be just as likely as anyone else to have an interest in chainsaws as anything else for a hobby. Consider what an enigma a chainsaw discussion forum is, I`ll bet that the vast majority of participants in this forum don`t make a significant portion of their incomes using or repairing chainsaws, chainsaws are simply an area of interest.

Spelling and grammar are a specific aptitude and while I agree that people who speak or write poorly are generally perceived as not too bright, just as persons with perfect enunciation and grammar but who speak slowly are often considered "slow", I think that judging a person by their speach, spelling, or grammar is a superficial assessment. Sedanman may be a perfect illustration of this opinion. I have several other examples from my daily interactions that also support my opinion.

The bottom line is that this thread is becoming hilarious.

I need to go check my compression tester to make sure that I have the right type for chainsaws.

Russ

Okay, after carefully studying this thread I came up with this: B = -VdP/dV + CH3CH2OH * 1H2O * 5/T (T=1hr). Of course, by 3/T I decided to cut my compression tester's hose in two, and now I can't get it to work, so I told my wife to stick her finger in it while I pull the cord. By 4/T I was thinking I read about this technique on a different thread. By 5/T I took a nap and dreamed about Pascal, equal volume, equal pressure, and decided to fill my saw up with transmission fluid. Am I on the right track here or did I get confused somewhere?

sedanman said:
You're gonna have to elaborate on the compression tester "knowing" or "caring" about the design of the engine. Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure whether it comes form a 2 cycle, 4 cycle, or 5 cycle (miller cycle engine, look it up) engine.
What.the.heck.is.a.miller.cycle.engine?

In.case.you're.wondering,..my.keyboard.doesnt.seem.to.be.working.right.

OSA, A miller cycle engine has a period where the piston is traveling upward in what would normally be the beginning of the compression stroke with the intake valve still open. This reduces the load needed to complete the compression stroke and adds to overall efficiency. The fifth cycle is a "non-compression" cycle. The valve closes and compression takes place for about 3/4 of the actual stroke. This non-compression cycle forces some of the intake charge out past the intake valve but this is expected and compensated for by over-feeding the engine with a supercharger.

To all: I only mentioned anything about my IQ as a direct response to being called an idiot, I will NOT bring it up againg, hopefully you can all go back to whatever pre-concieved notions you had about me. MasterBlaster still thinks I'm a jack-ass, some of you, whom I've met, know he's right.

Thanks Paul.

I reckon, I'll have to see an animation of how the miller cycle engine works, the description just goes over my head.

sedanman said:
To all: I only mentioned anything about my IQ as a direct response to being called an idiot, I will NOT bring it up againg, hopefully you can all go back to whatever pre-concieved notions you had about me. MasterBlaster still thinks I'm a jack-ass, some of you, whom I've met, know he's right.
I know you're smart Paul. :cool:

Incidentally, one of my best friends was a Mensa member. Interestingly, though, she chose not to use it on her resume, since so many people are intimidated by such things and think you're bragging. I didn't even know she was a member 'til I'd known her about six months. Of course, especially in the South, women aren't supposed to be smart, or at least that's been my experience.

Sadly, this country simply doesn't like intelligent people. Why do we spend so much more on special ed than we do on gifted education programs? I've observed many people being made fun of by people because they were smart. I really think intelligence is being bred out of people. Sorry to digress, but it's one of my many rants. :)

Back