Compression Release Removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwood logger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Do any of you saw experts out there replace your compression release with a plug? A freind of mine had a dealer tell him if he did'nt replace his with a plug it would build up carbon untill it broke loose and caused internal damage. they said if you can handle starting your saw without it, your better off removing it. They also said it can start to leak after a while when build up gets excessive. I wanted some other opinions before I start taking out the comp. releases on all my saws, I never use them anyway.

The compression release is there for the saw, not the user. It saves wear on the starting components, with the added bonus of making things a bit easier for the user.

Sure, they can fail from time to time and leave your saw out of action. But I'd guess that you'd have an even higher liklihood of having your saw out of action because you busted a starter rope/pawl/whatever from starting it w/o the compression release.

So my vote would be to leave 'em in place and use them. It can't hurt.

computeruser said:
The compression release is there for the saw, not the user. It saves wear on the starting components, with the added bonus of making things a bit easier for the user.

Sure, they can fail from time to time and leave your saw out of action. But I'd guess that you'd have an even higher liklihood of having your saw out of action because you busted a starter rope/pawl/whatever from starting it w/o the compression release.

So my vote would be to leave 'em in place and use them. It can't hurt.
:bowdown: As the others said - leave it in place!;)

decomp valve is handy when starting a cold saw, otherwise i dont use it myself...

SawTroll said:
Blis, you should - for the sake of the saws starter parts, if not for your own convenience....;)

no i shouldnt, it takes precious extra time to push the lil button (like it matters anyway)... but i have bad experiences about decomp-valve and warm engine...

if you still want to remove the compression release, it takes a 13mm stocket. a standard wall socket will just barely fit in. if its a stihl the top cover must be removed and the little rubber grommet removed, then you will have access to it. Stihl sells a plug just for this purpose.
the plug is PN 1122 025 2200

Latest posts

Back