Compression Tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You
I originally bought an Actron because I needed one, it was around $30-$35. Some time later I found a Snap-On in a pawn shop I visit regularly. It had been there well over a year and I had never seen it, snagged it for $35.
Always get good deals there what goes on is the market that depressed?

Does the Lisle have the schrader valve at the cylinder end?

You could get the hose from a cheap one with the schrader valve to use with a expensive gauge. I've got an actron ad 3 from O'Reillys that haven't asked long at all. My next one might be the OTC.

Randy and I managed to get in on a good deal a couple years back on some Proto compression gauges. When I moved to Ireland, I managed to lose mine! I was kicking meself up the arse(as they say) until this evening when I came across this in the UK Ebay and pounced:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360839793446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now I am back to having a decent gauge. You see the Proto gauge in nearly every build thread Mastermind has done. With his compression work, I think thats a glowing endorsement for Proto. Well, I've always been a fan of Proto.

About that famous schrader valve, not any ordinary valve will do. Must have very soft spring. Snap-On sells them separately.

Does the Lisle have the schrader valve at the cylinder end?
Yes - it - DOES..!! - I've had a Lisle I got NEW off eBay for $15 and ship - retail ~ $35 - Three years later still works great.!

And as has CT Yank mentioned..you can go to a store that sells Snap-On..and just buy the valve for ~ $0.75

J2F

Snap-On re-badges some of their tools. Other brands are good too. I have an older Matco tester I bought about 25 years ago. I wouldn't recommend it because it does not have the schrader valve at the tip. I'll bet the newer Matco's are good.

About that famous schrader valve, not any ordinary valve will do. Must have very soft spring. Snap-On sells them separately.
Yes it is a special Schrader valve different from a tire valve stem with a lighter spring. I have seen some with no spring. They are a go bad item. I keep spares and test the operation of the valve every time I use the tool. What is really hard to find is a tap to cut threads for the Schrader valves. I searched and searched with no luck. I finally found the specs and had some taps made special. I have used them to make adapters for testing diesel engines.

The SnapOn gauge is the only one I've had that has lasted. I had them break from Baileys, Actron, and Lisle.

I have 2 Snap On Gauges one for work and one for home. I bought them off ebay for 60 bucks, they are NOS Vintage & have a huge face but are still accurate.

Brad after going through my compression gauge issues and purchasing my 2 gauges that pop-up you did for me almost a year ago reads about 188 psi.

Is that the brand who one poster that worked for Snap on said makes the testers for Snap On?
I worked for mac. OTC makes most of the big tool company's testers. I cant be sure about the snap on as they do have the mfg make subtle changes to say they have their own. I know just as DozerDan Mentioned, mac, Cornwell and Matco are all OTC. I sold the mac sets. I own the OTC set.

I have 2 Snap On Gauges one for work and one for home. I bought them off ebay for 60 bucks, they are Vintage & have a huge face but are still accurate.

Brad after going through my compression gauge issues and purchasing my 2 gauges that pop-up you did for me almost a year ago reads about 188 psi.
Excellent. That's right where I like it.

It was strange my cheapo gauge read 170 on that saw then a on a bike with a high comp piston it read 100.... After that I decided I need a good gauge.

Narrowed my selection down to a new OTC, a nice Matco, a nice used Mac, or a very clean used 308 snap on set for 95$

Last edited:
For 52 bucks new, the OTC is a nice deal for such a large kit. I sold that set for $150 with a red gauge dial and case that said mac.

I just checked and the snapon set is US made so it's not an OTC set. I know they used to sell a blue point set and it was almost exactly the same as the mac. Blue point = outsourced. The OTC set is Chinese I believe. One thing I love about the OTC set is the long gauge lead. The tester isn't bouncing off the top of the saw while you pull it over. It's also nice when you check a car for obvious reasons.

I just checked and the snapon set is US made so it's not an OTC set. I know they used to sell a blue point set and it was almost exactly the same as the mac. Blue point = outsourced. The OTC set is Chinese I believe. One thing I love about the OTC set is the long gauge lead. The tester isn't bouncing off the top of the saw while you pull it over. It's also nice when you check a car for obvious reasons.

I'll take a picture of my setup but I agree a long lead makes it a dream to use.

Back