compression testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
test cold and i avoid taking a spark plug or any bolt out of hot mag or aluminum. thats just asking for trouble

If you are tempted to pull a plug out a cylinder of a saw at operating temp for any reason, I urge you to learn about negative thermal expansion first. If you don't like that, invest in helicoil.
Please explain. I've been reading plugs after a full throttle pull on 2 strokes for years. I've never had a problem.

You either work on really old saws, transcend the laws of physics, or have low standards pertaining to adequate thread capture.

The Husqy 61 I built a couple weeks ago was just shy of 200psi compression. haha!

You either work on really old saws, transcend the laws of physics, or have low standards pertaining to adequate thread capture.
My saw is brand new. I have been known to defy the laws of physics. Low standards? Well, ya, maybe. But seriously, I've never had an issue pulling a spark plug out of a hot motor, other than burning my fingers.

I have made it a habit to not pull plugs on hot motors. Years ago i did that on the aluminum headed car engines and pulled the threads on a few. lesson learned for me. i prefer to not make work. enough comes my way without doing something that has a higher likely hood of causing damage.

Still MS250

ab3fd2d3a1bd979f99a402e4881ad89b.jpg
8ba72dc9b01cad717ec2dcd3d5b41a1e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back