Con Com

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A buddy is in a bind and needs advice on how to deal with this issue.
You guys here are great so I thought of you 1st. Any/all advice appreciated.

"I think someone walked down the street after I just recently bought my land and house and turned me in to the conservation people. I cut down some "Jewel weeds" and I got shot with a violation."
"I'm appearing before the Con Com in August. Although I only cut down weeds and no trees or bushes."

So, specifically, what is the accusation in the violation/complaint/citation? Cutting down protected species? Destruction of a protected marshland? Cutting something protected without permission from some controlling agency? Is he in some type of conservation district or privately regulated subdivision? Destruction of a habitat for a protected animal? Other?

I guess it's for removing a plant from a wetland (that is on his property).
It's not endangered or threatened.

I guess it's for removing a plant from a wetland (that is on his property).
It's not endangered or threatened.

You'll have to read up on their conservation laws and regulations. Just because he owns the land does not absolve him of his responsibilities to "steward" the resources on his land. Remember the farmers uproar over regulations they had to follow regarding fertilizing near watersheds? Same idea.

I have a friend in this area that ran into the same thing. They cleared out an area near a runoff area to a pond. The city/community ordered them to replant the entire area. Tree removals have to be approved by the committee, etc. They use overhead photos to help enforce compliance.

Stata to state and region to region, wetland areas are protected by different laws and bylaws. Even though its a weed, he's really not suupposed to touch the area in terms of clearing and developmentn due to the fact that its a wetlands. Keep in mind, wetlands are determined by plant life, not water. If all he did was cut it down and left the roots intact, he should be ok and will just recieve a slap on the hand. It will grow back. Maybe something he should ask at the time is permission to present a maintainence plan showing how often, to what degree and how much area he would like to maintain the weed/wetland. Depending on plants and other related matters, they might allow him to do it just under their control. We do it here on different properties. Local boards and committees like to flex their muscles if they can.

Jewel Weed and Poison Ivy

Jewel Weed may be protected in your area. I don't know whether it is or not.
Native Americans used to use it to soothe and dry up poison ivy.

I have never seen it in my surroundings and from what I have read it is known to grow near poison ivy patches. I have plenty of poison ivy growing near my place but no jewel weed.

I have gotten rid of all the Poison Ivy I had when I moved here in 1990. At one time it was all over - one fence row 330 feet was covered and hanging in the trees.

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back