Condensation in my owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PURPLEBOWYER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody!every mmorn when I go out to load the stove it looks like its boiled over all four corners are wet on the concrete and the inside of my roof is soaking wet when I open the door to look up inside it literally drips all over the place.Is there anything I can do to sttop this?I have a shaver 165,thanks.

What temp are you running ? Do you have the manual door on the blower or the solenoid ?

Hows it goin?I have the manual door,and as of yesterday Im running at 175deg up from 150.I thought that maybe that was the prob but this morn it was still wet.Thru the day yesterday it seemed to not be as badbut it sure was today.

Sounds like you have a "leak" around the access door at the back where the hot water coil is. I had the same problem with mine the first year. Hot moist air meets cold dry air = condensation. The colder the outside air the more condensation. The first year I just kept insulation packed in at any cracks around the door because I didn't want to remove the roof insulation to silicone it. Last year I high temped siliconed everything. no more condensation. Hope this is helpful.

As long as you keep moist air from escaping around the cover by some means you should keep the condensation from occuring. Worked for me.

This is my 3rd year burning. One stove (165) Heating 2 houses, one old frame house, rental, and my 1500 sq ft ranch. Burned a lot of wood last year, but we never saw the ground here from a week before xmas till the end of Feb. Haven't had a winter like that around here in a long time. I added a blower damper and digital thermocouple and display/controller the first year. Built an ash pan for it last year and built a shed around it. Can store a good cord of wood inside for wet weather. So far no problems with pumps or blower. Keep check on chemicals in water. I have extremely hard limestone water but it is not softened. Been pleased with stove overall for what I gave for it.

Im curious I have hard water also,what chems are u using the only thing I added was their rust inhibitor,that as a ? I asked before the purchase and was told its not an issue.This is my 1st winter,Im heating 2100 sq ft plus dhw,newer home well insulated.

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/, I just go by their reccomendations on what to add. It's actually part of Shaver's warranty to do it. As for the hard water, I replaced the heat exchanger on the rental house this year, the original was too small, but it was done in a rush. My brother in law said there was no limestone build up in it that he could see. Stove willl heat better with seasoned wood, althoough it will eat anything you can throw in it. Theres alot of info on here about the Shaver, I learned alot my first year. You can upgrade it to make it more effecient if you like to tinker and have the know how. If nothing else you should upgrade the manual damper. It will definitely save wood.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81190&highlight=shaver
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=152053&highlight=shaver+improvement+forum

Hey purple, I think your thermostat stuck . they do that sometimes. You need to spread some silicone around the dhw plate to seal up those steam leaks. 150` is plenty hot enough. Any more and your just wasting wood. Switch to a ranco temp controller as soon as you can. They are under 50 bucks now. If you need help just send me a pm . Russ

You absolutely must seal that back cover to stop the condensation. Just use the overflow tube to check level, thats what it's there for. I upgraded from a 165 to a 290 for this year and one huge improvement they made IS the cover. Fits much tighter and the opening is only cut in the top, not the corner, makes it very easy to seal. Also got the auto damper and the electronic control and I agree with scag, well worth the small price increase. I'd recommend spending the 350 for the treatment that lasts 5 years, a no-brainer in my opinion.

Stihl ms650 36"
Stihl ms441 25"
30T splitter
polaris ranger 6X6
89' Dodge Cummins w/ air ride
Shaver 290

Back