Conflicting information on Shaver OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I talked to the people who analize the water samples for the chemicals for OWBs.

The guy told me to switch where I pump the water from on the back of the furnace. He said to do the opposite of what the instructions say. Instead, I am to put the pump to where you would normally hook up the return line and to hook the return line up to where Shaver wants you to put the pump.

The reason, he said, is to prevent so much water loss through steam or evaporation. He went on to say that returning the water to the top of the water jacket would allow the water to cool more and not steam as much away. That way the water isn't always so hot at the very top of the water jacket and cooler at the bottom.

Many are having problems with water loss and having to add several gallons a month. The man says this dilutes the chemicals by constantly adding water. Switching the return and pump placement will prevent this problem.

He also states to run the pump 24/7 instead of cycling on and off. This will also help to prevent water loss and keep the chemicals in a continuing cycle so that they can do their job.

What are your thoughts on this? I haven't got my furnace yet(its on order) but what should I do?

There is a possibility tha he is correct about the lines but I doubt it. It is just hard for me to believe that the manufacturer came up with inlet and outlet by eenie-meanie-miny-moe methods and happened to have moe land on the wrong one. Possible, but not probable. As for evaporation killing the chemical content I say teast and prove. Again if it was a problam then wouldnt the Mfgs be telling us to add some chemical mid winter? after all its their warrenty that is affected? Granted there have been and still are some poor mfgs around but we have a few that stand behind what they sell. I can see if somebody boils out half the water but adding a few gallons into 200? Dont think so. I agree with him on the pumps, ours run 24-7

I don't see how it could make that big of a difference. The highter on the water jacket you go the hotter the water will be so taking off the hotest water makes sence. Pulling the water off lower in the water jacket would give you colder water but not by much. I would just put it the way that it is suppose to go.

Switching the line is supposed to circulate the water better.

He said adding the cooler return water to the top of the tank would prevent the water on top from being so hot that it steams or boils the water away.

As the water evaporates away you add more water. He said this dilutes the chemicals that protect the metal.

I'm not sure what to do.

Changing Shaver Pump location

One other very good reason to move the Shaver pump to the bottom port is it will stop the possibility of the pump from drawing in air when they boil.
Several customers have ruined pumps because of the air produced when the unit boils.
I realize that you can control that but there is always that possibility it is going to happen.

Is the Shaver built with internal baffles or any other means to separate the flow of water from supply/return? Pumps do better pumping away to the supply side vs. on the return..more efficient. CB and others recommend it, why not Shaver? (I've never seen a Shaver eiether!)

Switching the line is supposed to circulate the water better.

He said adding the cooler return water to the top of the tank would prevent the water on top from being so hot that it steams or boils the water away.

As the water evaporates away you add more water. He said this dilutes the chemicals that protect the metal.

I'm not sure what to do.

Steam is a function of water being above 212F. This shouldn't be the case in a normally operating OWB. Some evaporation is normal for any OWB. Maintaining the water level and appropriate balance of corrosion inhibitor is routine maintainence. I would listen to the manufacturer long before I would listen to the guy who tests the water.

My OWB returns the water to the top of the unit. ( Factory designed. )

They must have thought it out.

It pulls from the bottom as most do, I often get hotter water at the top compared to whats leaving the supply at the bottom. ( early in the burn )

Aquastat?

Seems everyone here is forgeting the internal aquastat. I have a CB5036 and the water inside my house at my HX is exactly what reads on the digital display on the OWB. By moving your inlet/outlets you MAY defeat the accuracy of the aquastat on the unit and cause unforseen problems. Just a thought:)

Back