Confounding crank seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimbJesu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some sage advice installing a clutch side crank seal on a 440.
I've managed to go through two seals so far. Both of them because I pushed them too far down, the second one I tried to pull back up to flush and accidentally snagged the spring.
Anyway the seals seem to slide into the worm gear sleeve fairly easily wich I find a little concerning.
Should I be applying a little bit of anaerobic sealer on the bit of the sleeve that contacts the crank seal?
Please share your techniques!

For 044/440-
Drive the seal in without the worm gear spacer (bushing). Use anaerobic sealant on OD of seal (optional). Oil the seal lips (ID). Use washers and an appropriately sized socket to tap the seal flush to the bearing. The bearing protrudes from the case as you can see.

Pack the bushing with good grease. Some use sealant here... I don’t. Slowly and with a slight twist push the bushing into the seal until it seats. Assemble the pump, gear, washer, and torque the clutch down. Apply pressure/vac (more so vac) and see how ya did.

I use the Stihl tool for 046/460. There are many ways to do this but that’s worked for me.

Latest posts

Back