Confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something tells me you'll be double checking the off switch next time you go to start it.

My saw starts the same way every time. Put the choke on, pull it a few times till she tries to start. Once it tries to start I move the choke to run and pull again. It usually takes 2 pulls on choke, then 1 or 2 pulls on run and she's running. If you try to start it on choke after it tries to fire it will flood. I hadn't replaced the starter rope at that point. Only after it wouldn't start did I change out the starter rope.
Here I was trying to start it with a short rope when I had a replacement in hand. So that's when I changed out the pull rope.
I still don't understand how removing the plug and using clean dry air didn't dry it out enough to start.

My saw starts the same way every time. Put the choke on, pull it a few times till she tries to start. Once it tries to start I move the choke to run and pull again. It usually takes 2 pulls on choke, then 1 or 2 pulls on run and she's running. If you try to start it on choke after it tries to fire it will flood.
My MS241 will not fire in the choke position and is quick to flood if I try to start it with the choke on. With the choke off, it starts first pull every time. But it is always around 80 degrees here, if it was cooler it might want some choke.

probably filled the crankcase half full of fuel...shoul have pulled the plug flipped it upside down and pull the rope a few time...bet it would have **** out fuel.
That's one of the things I do any time I suspect a flooded engine. Most times little or no fuel come out but sometimes a tablespoon or more. That much extra fuel takes more than a dry plug and some dry air.

probably filled the crankcase half full of fuel...shoul have pulled the plug flipped it upside down and pull the rope a few time...bet it would have **** out fuel.

I was doing this unflood on a chainsaw and I left the spark plug dangling from it's plug wire and while holding the saw's handle between my legs the first crank it spit fuel and fire into my vital crotch area like a mad fire breathing dragon and I dropped the saw and was slapping my jewels hard fighting the fire, wounding myself, could not breathe afterwards for awhile and voice was high pitched.:surprised3:

Sure was thankful no one see that, me beating myself to death in the crotch area, hurting my jewels fighting the fire, especially the wife.
She would still be pointing and laughing.

Couple days later I kicked the saw, picked it up, put the spark plug in and it's started right up.

I was doing this unflood on a chainsaw and I left the spark plug dangling from it's plug wire and while holding the saw's handle between my legs the first crank it spit fuel and fire into my vital crotch area like a mad fire breathing dragon and I dropped the saw and was slapping my jewels hard fighting the fire, wounding myself, could not breathe afterwards for awhile and voice was high pitched.:surprised3:

Sure was thankful no one see that, me beating myself to death in the crotch area, hurting my jewels fighting the fire, especially the wife.
She would still be pointing and laughing.

Couple days later I kicked the saw, picked it up, put the spark plug in and it's started right up.

Ok Bro..the visuals on that are just way to funny! I would be laughing at you and pointing as well excepting for when I was wincing each time you slapped the jewels....

My stepfather did that with a 40 hp Evinrude twin, he's holding the spark plug against the head and I bumped the starter, and she blew fire out in his face and started running (not very well, but running).

I forget why but there was no easy way to shut her down (control box not hooked up, maybe?) but he was just as cool as a cucumber.

When we finally got her shut down (I forget how) and the noise and smoke cleared, he said, "Well, we've got fire." :laugh:

My saw starts the same way every time. Put the choke on, pull it a few times till she tries to start. Once it tries to start I move the choke to run and pull again. It usually takes 2 pulls on choke, then 1 or 2 pulls on run and she's running. If you try to start it on choke after it tries to fire it will flood. I hadn't replaced the starter rope at that point. Only after it wouldn't start did I change out the starter rope.
Here I was trying to start it with a short rope when I had a replacement in hand. So that's when I changed out the pull rope.
I still don't understand how removing the plug and using clean dry air didn't dry it out enough to start.
You were blowing through the carb., flooded bigly. Best way to clear it with air is to remove the plug, pull the starter a few times to blow out the fuel, then lightly blow into the spark plug hole. Re install the plug, hold the trigger wide open and pull, DO NOT RE CHOKE! Never use starter fluid!

Classic POS flooded Stihl. Used to happen all the time with my worthless ms361. To clear the flood, set the dumb, dumb switch to run, pin the throttle wide open (tape, zip tie, string, third hand, etc.) and pull her guts out. It may take 30 or 40 pulls but it will eventually clear and sputter to life. Don’t want to date myself but we used the same technique on carbureted cars. Put the throttle to the boards and crank.

People have said this can’t work but it has worked for me several times when starting a flooded saw. Use wide open throttle, shut off the ignition, 10 pulls on the starter rope, ignition back on and crank once more with wide open throttle. Usually brings them back to life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back