Considering openening repair shop, need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asand1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Job sucks and I cant pay my bills. Im considering some avenues, one of wich is a service center and/or dealership. Does Stihl,Hucky, or Dolmar offer any programs to assist in starting such a venture? Ive fixed 4 saws and two Stihl trimmers in my whole life, but I've been turning wrenches since I was
twelve, I'm now 33.

My Job sucks and I cant pay my bills. Im considering some avenues, one of wich is a service center and/or dealership. Does Stihl,Hucky, or Dolmar offer any programs to assist in starting such a venture? Ive fixed 4 saws and two Stihl trimmers in my whole life, but I've been turning wrenches since I was
twelve, I'm now 33.

You don't get rich, close to rich, wealthy, or even comfortable working in the outdoor power equipment industry. It's a job, you struggle, work 12 hour days, get yelled at by customers and starve for income half the year.

If you decide to take the plunge, keep your overhead small and your bills paid.

We've been in business for 56 years...we started as a radiator repair shop, and golf kart repair, and slowly worked our way into the small engine business. It was a long process and it's just in the past 20 years that we keep business all year round. Even still the winters are long and not much work is had...unless there is a bad winter storm that brings down trees electric is out for a while. Which only happens once every 30 years or so apparently. But good luck to you.

The best way is to keep your current job and just continue to do the repair work on the side. At least this way you have some kind of an income to put food on the table. If you advertise on craigslist and other local ad agencies in your area this would be good. Another way is to simply go to a graphics company and have an ad made up to advertise in front of your house. This is called minimum investment and maximum return. Start simple and small. Work on what you know first and then broaden your working base from there. This is my thought.

Your current job may suck but you have one, right now that is something.

I would suggest you check your local shops and offer to work part time,
cheap, until you learn some more, it will let you learn about the business
some, learn more about repair, etc..

The best way is to keep your current job and just continue to do the repair work on the side. At least this way you have some kind of an income to put food on the table. If you advertise on craigslist and other local ad agencies in your area this would be good. Another way is to simply go to a graphics company and have an ad made up to advertise in front of your house. This is called minimum investment and maximum return. Start simple and small. Work on what you know first and then broaden your working base from there. This is my thought.

:agree2:

Pretty much what I do - disappear in to the man cave and get another saw ready for sale - must have done around 60 saws/strimmers/mowers - anything from a quick clean to a full strip and rebuild - doesn't make much cash if you look at the time spent but pays for a few luxurys. Service friends and family equipment as well! I would say you are lacking a bit of experience but like you - have been using spanners since I could walk so should learn quickly!

Spud

You could start off by selling good used chainsaws and sharpening/selling chain and other terminal parts.
You may also consider selling firewood too on the side.

Stay small, keep it all.

John

I'm not 100% on the numbers but I know I'm close.

Stihl and Husqvarna: 50,000$+ initial investment, that includes displays, signage, parts, accessories and equipment. You have yearly sales minimums to stay a dealer atleast 30,000$ typical. You have to participate in marketing, seasonal booking programs,

Echo and Jonsered: 10,000$ initial investment You can get in the door for 10-20 pieces of whole goods, and 2,500$ in parts

Dolmar, Red Max, Kawasaki: 2,000$-5,000$ initial investment. Can be a dealer with 5-10 pieces, and a grand in parts.

To make a couple extra bucks, get yourself a chain sharpener and some grinding wheels, and do chain sharpening. Little investment or overhead and you can bring in some decent cash in your spare time.

Get an account through Oregon, Stens, Rotary, Ahlborn and set up an Ebay store selling aftermarket parts.

How about stripping down non runners and selling the parts as well as getting the cost effective ones going - I always do my best to get non runners going but there can be good value in spare parts!

Spud

You could start off by selling good used chainsaws and sharpening/selling chain and other terminal parts.
You may also consider selling firewood too on the side.

Stay small, keep it all.

John

This sounds like a good starting point. You could buy used saws and re-sell for a profit. Do basic repairs like plug changes, air filter replacement, chain sharpening, new fuel lines, carb rebuilds, etc.

This sounds like a good starting point. You could buy used saws and re-sell for a profit. Do basic repairs like plug changes, air filter replacement, chain sharpening, new fuel lines, carb rebuilds, etc.

Thats a good idea! You dont make a ton but enough to buy more toys!!!! How much is the average charge for chain sharpening?

Sometimes there's a down side to saw repair.
Some customers bring you junk and just cleaning and diagnosis will sink you.
In this case, try to buy the basket case in trade for a good working saw plus cash if the customer doesn't want to sink alot of $
You can also offer free chain etc., for any basket case of specific models.
Don't be afraid to charge for repairs, cause if we don't, that means we think we're no good.
However, the customer should always know a ball park figure of costs before a major teardown/repair.
John

twelve, I'm now 33.
If your job sucks and you cant pay the bills, go with the money.
I was in the same boat years ago and a freind of mine got me started in the plumbing business..Saw the money and never looked back.
I never had any intention or desire to be a plumber...until I saw said freinds social security statement.
Small engine business looks like a tough go.. any other ideas?
If you do try it, ill give one word of advice.. ALWAYS go out of your way to make the customer happy.. even if its a freebie.. It will come back to you ten fold..word of mouth is a powerful thing!

I tend to agree with the group that recommends keeping your current job, selling used saws and trimmers and sharpening chains.

If you're good and develop a reputation, it is not out of the question for one of the name-brand company sales managers to seek you out as a dealer.

The advice given for keeping overhead low and not using your credit is worth taking to heart. Very good advice.

Just remember that your not in control of how your customers handle there equipment.....Getting good business Liability Insurance is spendy .........

Having a good business plan is a must.........If your just going to wing it like some,the day may come when you get the nasty knock on the door for a tax audit .........Trust me that really sucks ..........

LLC. is not that much and is very well worth the money..........

Last edited:
You know what ??

forget it..

Thats how i am set up.. a little building with a grinder,all the tools and google for info on what i dont know :) and this site now.
i have advertised,have cards out and word of mouth.. have never had a customer unhappy in the end..been working on saws and small engines since late 70's .keeps me in saws and strimmers and lawn mowers is all it does..
well,maybe gas and beer too :) ..
take even a free old saw,add gas line,fuel filter,air filter,carb kit,etc..time cleaning it up nice and getting it going good and what is left ?? dont forget it may need a new chain also and dress the bar and sell it on CL for $50 ??
your going to get every homeowner looking to save a buck and fixing a $100 piece aint worth it..
those with the money to spend and a nice piece will bring it to a dealer anyway..
i still do it because like i said,it keeps me in free equipment.
TY

Latest posts

Back