Need advice on an easy-start saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad my PS-7900 is not so easy to start, that way my dad can't get her running (o no he don't, that's a fact).
He once used my PS-6400 without my knowledge to cut dirty nail infested junk planks apart - he f-ed up the chain so much I had to use the grinder to get it back up to any sort of running condition - I was pi$$ed to say the least.
I see dads are the same the world over!

Why not something like a Jonsered CS2250s with the spring assisted start? They are an easy starting saw. The Husqvarna 440e is spring assisted as well. Had one on the farm for a while and My bride used it after a shoulder injury simply because it was an easy starting saw. Now has a Husqvarna 543 which is arguably the easiest saw to start you can by. Just its a small saw and a bit pricy for some. The 440e and 543 are in the same power class. The cs2250s and Stihl MS250 are in the same displacement / power class. Those Jonsered's sell at TSC for around $350 bucks. Husqvarna has the same basic saw as well in one of the 450 varients.
Why not something like a Jonsered CS2250s with the spring assisted start? They are an easy starting saw. The Husqvarna 440e is spring assisted as well. Had one on the farm for a while and My bride used it after a shoulder injury simply because it was an easy starting saw. Now has a Husqvarna 543 which is arguably the easiest saw to start you can by. Just its a small saw and a bit pricy for some. The 440e and 543 are in the same power class. The cs2250s and Stihl MS250 are in the same displacement / power class. Those Jonsered's sell at TSC for around $350 bucks. Husqvarna has the same basic saw as well in one of the 450 varients.

I hadn't considered a Jonsered. Honestly I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Jonsered models (or the non-xp husky models for that matter).

I suppose these small jonsereds are clamshell saws? We do actually have a Jonsered dealer in town, so I'll have to stop in and see what's available and how the prices compare.

There's an Echo cs-400 on Craigslist near me for $225, or $300 new and the Dolmar looks to be a little over $300, though I haven't talked to a dealer. Honestly, I wish there was a good Dolmar dealer closer to me because I think I'd pick that one. The HP is impressive and I've heard lots of great things about Dolmar, but 45 minutes is a bit of a hike. Should I just forget about the drive and get what seems to be the best saw for the money?

I hadn't considered a Jonsered. Honestly I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Jonsered models (or the non-xp husky models for that matter).

I suppose these small jonsereds are clamshell saws? We do actually have a Jonsered dealer in town, so I'll have to stop in and see what's available and how the prices compare.

There's an Echo cs-400 on Craigslist near me for $225, or $300 new and the Dolmar looks to be a little over $300, though I haven't talked to a dealer. Honestly, I wish there was a good Dolmar dealer closer to me because I think I'd pick that one. The HP is impressive and I've heard lots of great things about Dolmar, but 45 minutes is a bit of a hike. Should I just forget about the drive and get what seems to be the best saw for the money?
I personally would take the drive. It is nice to be able to handle a saw before you buy it and you never know the Dolmar dealer may be an awesome dealer . He may throw in some chains or oil or whatever to sweeten the deal.

...and the Dolmar looks to be a little over $300, though I haven't talked to a dealer. Honestly, I wish there was a good Dolmar dealer closer to me because I think I'd pick that one. The HP is impressive and I've heard lots of great things about Dolmar, but 45 minutes is a bit of a hike. Should I just forget about the drive and get what seems to be the best saw for the money?
It takes me 10-15 minutes to get to work with my car, and I am just a few kilometers out of town.
That been said, I have not a single Dolmar dealer in any kind of vicinity nor did I ever needed one, luckily.
A new saw shouldn't show any issues for quite a while anyhow, although there are always the odd exceptions of the rule.
In case I needed a new saw looked after/fixed, a 45 minutes road trip wouldn't scare me off - I take joyrides longer then that.

Whatever Dolmar related items I need I purchase online and get them delivered within a few days - same should apply/work in the US.

@fordf150 seems to be a good focus point regarding Dolmar items (he also offers Echo), though there are surely others.
I would send him a PM and see what price he could come up with, though shipping cost would have to be considered too.

I really like my Dolmar's, though I am not saying that other brands lack in any way!

my vote is for the MS180 it's so easy to start and easy to handle. bought one last month from my 84-year old neighbor who used it very little on his farm. I can't say enough good things about it: it's my new go-to small saw (smaller than my 238's). with the narrow kerf set-up it's amazingly powerful for such a small motor.

I'd agree, the MS-180 is very easy to start.

All you have to do is pull the cord out, no jerking or anything. Will feel the spring release and off she goes. Very lightweight too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back