consulting rates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in aus, so the advice doesn't directly apply but some of it may.

Over here, anyone developing needs an arborist report, and most councils specify a minimum of a dimploma in arboriculture to be qualified to write it. The going rate for a standard residential block is between $800~$1200 for the report. The report is about 25 pages of standard pro-forma, references, method statements, standard practices for protection of trees etc, and maybe 1 page of information specific to the site. You can crank them out in a couple hours i you are used to it and your knowledge of species is good. Most of it is pretty standard stuff - hessian and wood barriers for trunks during construction, mulching and watering if the drip zone etc. You can fluff out a lot of pages with standard diagrams and descriptions of that sort of thing.

+100 on the advice given about liabilty. Here in aus we aren't yet as sue happy as you guys in the states, but we're catching up. The standard 2 types of insurance that most tree companies carry here (public liability and workers comp) don't cover you for this sort of work. You need professional indemnity insurance in aus, and a well written contract to keep you out of trouble. Check up in your local and get it right the first time.

A lot of councils here also specify that the consultant can not be employed by or in any way be connected to the company doing the tree work. As such, getting into this sort of work doesn't really help you build up your business if you're a tree guy. If you're getting into your twilight years it can be a good little money spinner though, and keeps you off the tools.

Shaun

The ASCA consulting arborist I often work with charges a $200 minimum. His referrals are always gold.

Another ISA certified guy I know charges 125 for every estimate- he walks around the property and gives advice on all the trees. His consult fee scares away all the people who only care about price so it works out well for him.

I am ISA certified and charge 75. I am really busy working on masters degree so the consults aren't really worth my time when I am trying to sell work to keep my crew busy. Half the time I feel bad charging people just to flap my lips!

Latest posts

Back