Consumer Reports Choice As A Clear Winner Is. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can tell by the picture for the video he run a saw a lot, by his hitchhiker thumb.:bang:

If a guy is brand agnostic and has the hankering for a 32 CC saw, I'm sure the 180 is a quality saw.

Anyone have a CR membership to see what the other 29 saws are and how they rated?

Consumer test reports on chainsaws always are worthless and misleading....:msp_rolleyes:

I agree, having run everything in that category of saw I can tell you they should have rated the Echo as the best choice.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

I really like the IDEA of Consumer Reports tests.

However, anytime that I really KNOW anything about the products that they are testing, I am usually very disappointed.

I think that they have a group of people who sit down ahead of time and decide what is important in a product (like a chainsaw), without necessarily knowing anything about it. Then they compare their selected products to their metrics with bull-headed determination. So their 'objective' tests are really full of biases, including selection bias (which items they choose to test), as well as pre-judgement.

They also fall victim to 'feature bias' - they love the idea of some features, without really evaluating if they are that important in the overall scheme of things.

So, that is why they like the MS 180 (over the 211 and 250, or did they not test these?), and the WORX electric saw (over the Makita/Dolmar and Husqvarna models). The article referenced suggests that they really like the PowerSharp feature of the Oregon battery saw - wonder if they know that they can add this to most saws of the same size range.

That said, I will browse through an article (say on dishwashers) if I am looking for that type of product, although, the models they quote never seem to be available, and sometimes the brands referenced are not helpful - e.g. one Whirlpool dishwasher will score quite high, and another quite low, so I can't assume that Whirlpool appliances in general are any better or worse.

I do respect their automobile reliability ratings for models more than a year old, as these are compiled from reader input and contain lots of input.

Philbert

And the Stihl is the only gas-powered unit we've tested that needs no tools to tighten the chain

??? Did they just ignore the Huskys and Poulans?

Husqvarna is one of the leading brands of gas-engine chain saws
Stihl makes consumer and professional-grade gas and electric chain saws.

Equal treatment, or pre-judgment? Kind of like CR's Toyota and Honda bias?

Homelite is one of the leading brands of gas and electric chain saws.
Leading as in sales, or . . . . ?

I guess you could call me a "Stihl guy" but this means absolutely nothing to me. Those reviews always need to be taken with a grain of salt and usually are not related to any real world use or demands. I remember many years ago they savaged Troy Bilt tillers as being unsafe, they took one out and set the tilling depth adjustment for maximum tilling depth and dropped it in hard untilled ground. The tiller immediately jumped and took off being driven by the tines rather than the wheels. That was a case of pure operator negligence, nothing to do with the design of the equipment.

Consumer Reports should stick to stoves and washing machines. :angry:

They can't even get stoves and Dishwashers right.

Ask the local appliance repair tech.

CR consistently rates their higher paying advertisers above others, simply out of review familiarity and access.

They can't even get stoves and Dishwashers right.

Ask the local appliance repair tech.

CR consistently rates their higher paying advertisers above others, simply out of review familiarity and access.

And that would be who? Haven't seen advertisers in CR, but my subscription ran out last year.

Latest posts

Back