Consumer Reports Choice As A Clear Winner Is. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined CR for one month to read the Chainsaw report. Then, luckily, I found AS. I would have ended up with a consumer Stihl. I was able to buy a Redmax Gz4000 off of craigslist that is a fantastic saw, and not tested in the article. Thank you AS!:blob2:

Consumer Reports should stick to stoves and washing machines. :angry:

They should stick to nothing, which summarizes the amount of things in which they are qualified to comment on.

Please don't misread where I'm coming from being that I'm a husky dealer. I've sold plenty of items that these magazines have rated as best buys. But they just don't have a clue as to what they are talking about, and the way they portray themselves as experts on everything is a sham.

People like to use these rags as a starting point when making a purchase in a category that they are unfamiliar with. So, I like to try and turn it around and ask the customer what they do, or are very familiar with, say computers or photography. And I'll ask, "How much do you think they know about cameras?" And they'll laugh and say, "They don't know **** about cameras." Which kind of drives home my point with them. :laugh:

Last edited:
I do 't understand why everybody is complaining?! The 180 is in my eyes an excellent saw for their described area of use. They wanted a saw for garden work and the evtl. after storm cleanup where usually branches are lying on the ground! No one mentioned year round firewood duties or storm fallen 300 year oak trees. Personaly I believe that most homeusers would be better setup with a quality handsaw(no old gas issues etc.) but as we all know no one nowadays knows how to use a handsaw.

Nor how to properly sharpen one.

As far as that goes most wouldn't know the diff between a good chain and a dust maker.

CR wouldn't know their qass from a hole in the ground. They do know how to sway an uneducated consumer to buy what they like or feel is good. AS is more of an authority on 2smoke than they will ever be. I stopped reading anything they report on based on sounds advice from pro's "in the know" who do repairs everyday. Find an expert in his field and get the skinny first hand. Then do it times three now your "in the know." Oh, btw I own an 018C tools adjust and like it for light ground work limbing. Yes, it did need a muf mod to get up to speed.

Latest posts

Back