Contests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dneiger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wanted to let everyone know about 2 contests taking place in lower Mi over the 4th of July weekend. Saturday July 3rd at Luther and Sunday July 4th at Evart, these 2 towns are about 30 miles apart. The Luther one is run by my War Department with my help and the Evart one by Cliff and Rhonda Helsel. Everyone is welcome to participate, there will be 2 chainsaw classes along with other logging events. Womens chainsaw [we provide the saw] Jack & Jill crosscut, Mens crosscut, Bow Saw, Hotsaw A [0-81 ccs ] Hotsaw B [ 0-up ], Underhand chop, Standing block chop, Axe throw, and Waterboil. If you would like to participate try and ley us know about 1-2 weeks in advance so we can plan our wood supplies. If you would like to just watch be prepared to see a couple of World record holders in action and lots of speed.
If you have any questions let us know at,
Dave Neiger 1-231-797-5261
Cliff Helsel 1-231-879-3985

O.K. all you racers and them that wannabe, its official there will be a contest on July 3rd in Luther Mi. & one in Evart Mi. on July 4th. This will give everyone 2 chances to participate, as it stands now the wood will be the same species and the same size.
The rules will be the same and the events likewise. This should give everyone lots of notice so get prepared and lets have at it.
We should be able to clear the air and see where the Bull *hit in the buckwheat, guaranteed there will be some fast equipment at these contests, both power and hand tools. Prize money should run about $2500. total for for each day.
We have just received word that the Mio show has been cancelled, this has tradionally been the Michigan State Championship plus a good open contest. At this time we are contemplating moving the championships around the state to different areas each year. Will keep you posted.
Remember everyone is welcome on the 3rd & 4th so get your ducks in a row and come up.

Dave count me in for both classes I may have to let someone else run my saws but heck for a $100 extra a race why wouldn’t I?
Mr. Ed Heard will you be attending this show or any of your operators?? Sure hope so I know the guys from Michigan are looking forward to some friendly competition.
Remember it open to ALL so let's see just whear the Bull *hit in the buckwheat

woodsjunkie , yes i plan on going , not sure if anyone else is going, most likely i will need a crosscut partner so are you going to be my partner, now on a different note
the guy I was suppose to crosscut with Chris Starr, is sick and i mean sick, he is quite young 22 or 23 years old , has been in different hospitals now for 7 weeks and they are not sure what is wrong , he seems to have had a stroke but the brain doesnot show that, but they have found some scrare tissue on the backside of his brain so they are looking in to that but they better hurry up cause he has lost over 30 pounds now and cannot keep his food down , his left side of his tonque is not working and his 1 eye goes all over the place on its own , well i hope he gets well soon ,very nice guy , so woodsjunkie tell Cliff about him,the last couple of years he has gone to some of Cliff's shows

and one more thing woodsjunkie, I have been to Michigan at least 11 or 12 times , i think it is more but we will stay with that , how many times have they came this way ,zero, so would it not be fair if they were in my sand box for once, our shows are alot bigger and they would see other very good hotsaw racers that they will never see over at there shows

I finally got the Webster results from Carol Cogar

Hot saw- 1st. Phil Helsel 4.20, 2nd Paul Cogar 4.42, 3rd Cliff Helsel 4.58, 4th Bill Cogar 4.83, 5th Mel Lentz 4.91.

Single buck- 1st Jason Wynard 16.01, 2nd Dion Lane 16.55, 3rd Dave Jewett 16.81, 4th J.P. Mercier 17.63, 5th Arden Cogar Jr. 19.09.

Two Man crosscut - 1st Matt Bush, Mike Slingerland 7.79, 2nd Dave Jewett, J.P. Mercier 8.41, 3rd Wally Robarge, Paul Pfenniger 9.26, 4th Kirt Hall, Harry Burnsworth, 9.35, 5th Jason Helsel, Phil Helsel, 9.50.

Standing Block- 1st Jason Wynard 14.83, 2nd Arden Cogar Jr. 17.22, 3rd Dion Lane 17.22, 4th Mel Lentz 17.64, 5th Matt Bush 18.78.

Underhand- Matt Bush 18.56, 2nd Dion Lane 19.00, 3rd Arden Cogar Jr. 19.41, 4th Jason Wynard 19.56, 5th Mel Lentz 22.66.

These are the times as I know them from Carol she is the official time recorder.
Dave

Just got done Minden's wood , 179 blocks and I am glad it is over, I guess we have Dion Lane and his Dad coming plus Jewett and about 60 other people

"Originally posted by dneiger
Womens chainsaw [we provide the saw] Jack & Jill crosscut, Mens crosscut, Bow Saw, Hotsaw A [0-81 ccs ] Hotsaw B [ 0-up ], Underhand chop, Standing block chop, Axe throw, and Waterboil."

What's a waterboil (or is the answer obvious)?

Bob
Each contestant is give a coffee can with the same amount of water and some dish soap in it, they are also given a dry block of cedar and 1 match. Then they have to cut some shavings and small pieces from the cedar, pile it up so it makes a stand to set the can on, light the fire and keep adding wood until the water boils. First one wins, some of these guys look like they are going to blow a gasket huffing and puffing at the fire. The crowd really gets into it, good event to finish the show up.
Dave

Ya, I thought it was interesting too. N.B Logger told me all about it when I was at his place. He is very good at it and it sounds like a real crowd pleaser.
John

John, we might need to try that at home a few times. Before we try it in front of a big crowd.

Ricky

John, I would want to use some of Grandpa's recipe. That way I could take two sip's, one far me an one to blow on the fire. It's as mean as nitro and burns faster too. LOL

Ricky

You guys got it wrong , this is from a guy that i will not name but has won alot of water boils , you get your fire burning then throw a enzo or any anti-acid pills in the water that foam , instead boil

Well its contest time in Mi. Luther Logging Days is tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be good, hopefully not as hot as last year [ 96 ], Wewill have some of the best here and at Cliffs show in Evart Mi. on Sunday. We will cut 8x8 Aspen here and I think Cliff has some round wood coming. Should have some fast times and I will post them as soon as I can, will try to get some videos and get them on as well.
Dave

Luther results-

Hot saw A, 0-81ccs, 3 cuts 8x8 Aspen dead saw.

1- Jason Helsel 3.49
2- Jerry Gingras 3.73
3- Herb Gingras 3.90
4- Lee Hertier 4.03

Hot saw B, 0-up

1- Jason Helsel 2.97
2- Phil Helsel 3.07
3- Jerry Gingras 3.33
4- Cliff Helsel 3.41

It was a hot day, both temp. and competition.

Did anyone get the results from Longview, Wa. I understand it was a big meet up there and a few guys from down under ruled.

Back