Converting a Gas Powered Hydraulic Wood Splitter, to run off of a Tractor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisnoskij

Reaction score
I have a gas powered log splitter (other than the stickers, it looks identical to http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/stories/95-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Gas-Wood-Splitter.html).

The engine is falling apart, and has always been rather noisy, and hard to start. The engine simply powers some hydraulic energy generator, which then powers the hydraulic splitter. What if I just hooked the hydraulic cabling up to a tractor?

Would I blow the splitter up? I guess they are designed to just hook up to any equipment without worrying too much about blowing them up, and I imagine there is a way to control how much pressure it uses. And thinking about it, the splitter actually is bigger and puts out more power than most hydraulic systems hooked up to normal sized tractors. Normally the tractor would use its hydraulic system to maybe lift 400-600 pounds, though I am sure it could do multiples of that if needed. Well that is small potatoes compared to what this log slitter puts out. So while the engine is dinky, compared to the tractor, the hydraulic system is actually on par.
The splitter seems designed, such that the engine just constantly creates hydraulic energy when needed (like an air tank, I assume), and you direct it with a lever at the splitter. While the tractor is designed to have a lever direct some instrument up/down, open/closed, etc. How would I set it up to just send out hydraulic pressure when able (and possibly control how much pressure it creates)?

Also it is a two ?power? splitter. It slows down when it needs more strength. I am not sure how this is done. if the engine/hydraulic generator does this, or this is taken care of in the hydraulic cabling/mechanism themselves. Also with the engine being like 10 times bigger, would the splitter go faster? Would it press harder? Would it possibly just never go into slow, but powerful mode, as it has horse power to spare?

Any ideas? Someone must of done this at some time, I am just not sure how much tinkering it would require. Thanks in advance.

I kind of moved your quotes around a bit in order to help answer your questions.

The engine simply powers some hydraulic energy generator, which then powers the hydraulic splitter. Also it is a two ?power? splitter. It slows down when it needs more strength. I am not sure how this is done. if the engine/hydraulic generator does this, or this is taken care of in the hydraulic cabling/mechanism themselves.
The "hydraulic energy generator" you have is your hydraulic pump. Yours is a 2 stage pump that kicks into a slower, but higher pressure mode based on system pressure setting. This allows faster in and out cylinder ram cycle time unless it needs more power. It simply "downshifts" for more power, similar to an automatic transmission in a car.

What if I just hooked the hydraulic cabling up to a tractor? Would I blow the splitter up? I guess they are designed to just hook up to any equipment without worrying too much about blowing them up, and I imagine there is a way to control how much pressure it uses.

The answer here is, NO it wouldn't blow things up as long as the proper hoses and connectors are used. Speed is adjusted by the tractor engine speed and pressure is controlled by the tractor's hydraulic system. If you do an internet search for 3 point log splitter they operate like you are thinking.

[/QUOTE]And thinking about it, the splitter actually is bigger and puts out more power than most hydraulic systems hooked up to normal sized tractors. Normally the tractor would use its hydraulic system to maybe lift 400-600 pounds, though I am sure it could do multiples of that if needed. [/QUOTE]

Don't confuse what a tractor can lift in pounds with the Pounds per Square Inch (PSI) which hydraulic systems produce. Hydraulics usually run from 2200-3000 PSI and can produce many tons of force depending on cylinder size and flow rate.

[/QUOTE]Well that is small potatoes compared to what this log slitter puts out. So while the engine is dinky, compared to the tractor, the hydraulic system is actually on par. The splitter seems designed, such that the engine just constantly creates hydraulic energy when needed (like an air tank, I assume), and you direct it with a lever at the splitter. While the tractor is designed to have a lever direct some instrument up/down, open/closed, etc. How would I set it up to just send out hydraulic pressure when able (and possibly control how much pressure it creates)? Also with the engine being like 10 times bigger, would the splitter go faster? Would it press harder? Would it possibly just never go into slow, but powerful mode, as it has horse power to spare?[/QUOTE]

Your pump would be removed, the hoses from the tractor to the splitter would connect to the controller, with splitter force set by the tractor hydraulics. Speed can be adjusted by tractor engine speed which is usually a fast idle speed. You would no longer have high/low. Tractor size may have something to do with it. I used to split with a 150 horse diesel tractor at slow idle, but a 40 horse could run it about the same at a faster idle.

[/QUOTE]Any ideas? Someone must of done this at some time, I am just not sure how much tinkering it would require. Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]

It's actually pretty easy to convert, maybe $100 in hoses and connectors, but you can sell your pump to recoup some of it.

If your only problem is the engine, Harbor freight has them on sale all the time. I have several of their engines & am very happy with them. Depending what size engine you need, you may find it as cheap to just replace the engine as to convert it to be used on a tractor.

Most of the splitting I do with a 2 stage pump is in the high (Fast speed) stage. I do not know what size tractor you will be using it on, but the odds are the hydraulic pump output will be much lower than the 2 stage pump your splitter currently uses = much longer cycle time. You will also lose the ability to use your tractor to move logs while someone is splitting, add un-neccessary hours to your tractor, spend much more for fuel, ... .

My first splitter ran off my tractor and I decided quickly to build it into a stand alone. Now I can take it with me to help others without need to take my tractor.

All else being equal, tractor units are quite a bit cheaper than gas powered ones.

If you want to go tractor unit, I would just sell you existing splitter as-is, and buy a new tractor mounted one. You'd have a good chance of coming out even - haven't seen your existing splitter though.

If it's just the engine problem that has you thinking this, just replace the engine as already suggested.

I would not do a conversion - doesn't sound like you have the know-how for that as a DIY. Possible to do but also very possible for you to break something or hurt yourself.

I had to borrow a splitter last year cause the engine blew up on mine. It didnt take me long to buy a new engine for mine. The borrowed unit was a tractor mount and that thing was slow as molasses in January. I can split 3 loads of wood to my buddy's one load. His gets the job done but it is just plain excruciating. I got an 11HP from Harbor Freight for like $250 or something on sale.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, A lot of good advice. Sorry it took so long to respond, I had subscribed to this thread, but it apparently was not set for instant notifications.

It is a mid sized, Kaboda, with a bucket (M7040). 41.6L, 1500-1900 kg lift, 19.1 MPa sys pressure.
Will have to check how this compares to the standalone system.

the one thing I was wondering, and one person pointed out, how would my gas efficiency change? I would be running as far bigger engine, but it would be a far more efficient engine. And it would be running on or near idle instead of a break neck, ear muffler necessary, speed. I think there is a chance it would be far more efficient, but it could also be the opposite.

The parts to fix the engine are already ordered, now, but I still like the idea of, at least, having this as a backup.

And I am sure we could manage the conversion, I am just not familiar with hydraulic systems, or their jargon.

Latest posts

Back