Converting M-Tronic to Manual carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaktreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? And what main challenges did you run into?

Stihl said the manual carb for a 660 would be something like $70. And pointed out that my current outer case has three positions on the choke lever wheras manual carb would have four.

Stihl said the manual carb for a 660 would be something like $70. And pointed out that my current outer case has three positions on the choke lever wheras manual carb would have four.

660? do you mean 661? The 660 was never Mtronic. The master control lever on a regular carb saw will have three positions, off, run/high idle and choke.

Yes, sorry i meant a 661.

The dealer said the manual has full choke and half choke? He doesn't stock any variant of 661 on hand.

I believe only off, run and choke, choke is also high idle on Mtronic models.

Yes people have swapped them over to regular carbs, but I see no reason to do that. There is an upgrade kit for the 661. New solenoid which is white in color, orange fuel pickup body and I believe ignition coil. Maybe a new carb as well.

Watch this. I know it's not the 661 but same priniciples. listen closely to what they say about this the last 2-3 minutes as to pros and cons. FWIW.

Latest posts

Back